Support in other languages: 
Bit Torrent
Vince69

Re: Sl510 - Fingure Print Reader - Does NOT WORK at POWER ON

Nobody can forget Crocodile Dundee :smileyvery-happy:

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Blue Screen Again
ausmike

Re: Sl510 - Finger Print Reader - Does NOT WORK at POWER ON

Hello Eveyone....

Sorry haven't been able to comeback to this POST due to various reasons - ... Nope thing to do with DOWN UNDER - nor any movie guy etc etc ,,,,, just work stuff been busy and traveling a lot for work - not much fun being stuck in snowbound aiports and hotels

...for a,l the pple who have replied , < thanks>

- someone mentions about FP = used in place of POWER ON button  > that's NOT WHAT am complaining about ....

( think keji wrote the same issue as me - but more clear way)

WHEN YOU PRESS the POWER ON button in SL510 ( equip'ed with FP reader from factory )

- I expected it to stop ............... and a  specific ""BOOT UP "" step/stage  - and ask for finger swipe

- ( this is what I normally get once the fp reader is conf appro'tly and bios option is set) ,,,,

- it does that successfully on T and W  series laptops I have (t60p, t61p t510, w510 and w 701ds I have)

-(am a looooong time TP user , have tp's that go back to 80's)

There are OPTIONS in SL510 bios for what is generally known as " boot-on-power/password"  to be replaced by a finger swipe

This seems to be a BUG (omission of this step) in the SL-BIOS  - granted its a lesser cost thinkpad . However in my view if you sell a customer with a FP reader , and tell that the feature is there , and it don't work ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then fix it ,,,,,,,,,,,, or do like I did

>RETURN THE LAPTOP ( after 7mths use) for FULL REFUND

I got my money back and I am happy

side note :  In aust , the LEMON LAW actually works ,,,,,,,,,,,, and FALSE Adverts are not accepted - so if you say your product does something , and it doesn't , THE LEMON LAW applied , don't matter how long 'seller'  says BULLCAP about this and that ,,,,,,,,,,,

I love the thinkpads and wont use to many other laptops so no it wasn't about lenovo bashin etc etc SIMPLY STATED the facts

BTW lenovo pple offered me to KEEP laptop and we still refund you the money - I told them NO > send me RETURN ADDRESS and fedex voucher , ,,,,,,,,,,,,, and am done !

I much rather Lenov FIX this BIOS issue than remove FP reader as an option in ongoing Sl series machines like they have done

cheers eveyone

Thinkpads - W;X &T Series (work)
Home- T60p;T43p;T20
few others
Bit Torrent
Vince69

It's good you could find a way through that.

Yeah I wasn't clear I mixed power-on and turn on. Because you can use the FP to turn on your computer in the W and T series.

Just have to remember you don't have the same features in the L/SL series than the T/W series. You just have to consider that before buying a Thinkpad.

And you are right I just noticed that Lenovo no longer provide the SL510 with a FP.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.

ThinkPad T510 4313-CTO Windows 8 x64 - Intel Core i7-620M - NVIDIA NVS 3100M - 8GB RAM - 240GB SSD- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - Gobi 2000.
ThinkPad Helix 3697-CTO Windows 8.1 x64 - Intel Core i7-3667U - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - 8GB RAM- 256GB SSD - Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 - Ericsson C5621gw

Blue Screen Again
ausmike

HELLO EVERYONE;

Sorry for long delay in my UPDATES....

But I bought the SL -510  for ONE SPECIFIC reason = HMDO connections

but when i saw that they have a FP reader ; I decided to add that to the 'custom 'xation' and PAID EXTRA for it

as i did speak to the SALES AGENT ( durng the ordering stage - and got confirmations of " what I wanted to do with FP reader = was to ..........press the POWER BUTTON  ..... -----> swipe fingure ,,,,,,,-----> ...........and next thing I see is the  WINDOWS DESKTOP   ( ready to use!!)

However the results are not the same as what I thought and WHAT GOT CONFIRMED to me in email(s) rom the SALES AGENT OF LENOVO. The SL4/510 models dont have he "same cios' capabilities as the W & T series - which does the above steps ie ,,, POWERON ----> swipe fingure -----> results in bootup all the way to desktop ! and WALAH you ready to use!

During the "discussions" from lenovo at the LEMON LAW MEDIATIONS ,,,,, I was suprised that lenovo put forward the arguemtn that eh SALES AGENT was "miss-informed" of these features and thus misinformed mailto:me@!@....blah blah

In short , I refued to accept  their FULL REFUND and KEEP the laptop for free -all I wanted whas them to fix this "bug' or what I would call " oops - someone forgot to add that deature but lets sell it anyways..."  Since this model was "going out off prod'n anyways , I DIDNT THINK LENOVO would do much else to fix this "advertised yet missing yet mising !"

.....I had to settle for some other brand (which was cheaper) and still hasnt has one problem with that item !!!!!

Thinkpads - W;X &T Series (work)
Home- T60p;T43p;T20
few others