Support in other languages: 

ThinkPad Battery Firmware Update for Windows to fix a low battery capacity problem on SL 410/510 series

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎08-10-2010 by
Modified ‎08-10-2010 by
(2,979 Views)

ThinkPad Battery Firmware Update for Windows to fix a low battery capacity problem on SL 410/510 series

Question

I have a ThinkPad SL410 or SL510 that doesn't seem to charge as I would expect.  Run times on a full charge seem shorter than anticipated and / or battery full charge capacity levels degrade more quickly than normal, or batteries won't fully charge.

SL Battery.gifDo I need to replace the battery ?  Is it defective?

Answer

Before you call service or consider replacing the battery, check to ensure you have the latest firmware on the battery - this is made available through an updated BIOS.

This battery firmware update utility fixes an issue where some batteries indicate an incorrect full charge capacity value. Because of this error, the amount of energy available for use is artificially low, decreasing the amount of time the system can be used on battery. The fix is entirely contained in the battery firmware update; there is no need to replace any hardware for this problem.

Click Here for full details and the files to download specific to your model system.

Comments
by Shivan on ‎11-22-2012 06:52 AM

My Thinkpad is SL510 (2847) & bought a year before. Now I did a factory rest (reinstall windows7 & all). Normally Battery charge stays for 3 hours & now dropped to 1 hour. The battery condition shows: Fair &  the battery can only store 34% of original full charge capacity.  The "Power Manger" version is 6.36 & frimware version is 42T4751. I belive its software problem, help me to fix it.

by Administrator on ‎04-15-2013 11:37 AM

Shivan,

I think in this case the firmware may not be the problem, but rather just one of the cells in the pack is no longer working properly and so the voltage drops more quickly and the system shows reduced capacity and run time.

You can try the firmware update, but I suspect you may need to replace your battery soon.

Mark

Contributors