Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
danleary25

Thinkpad NumLock/CapsLock Indicator crashes Xbox Media Center Extender

[ Edited ]

I have an SL510 with Windows 7 that I got in Decemeber and an Xbox 360 that I've had for a few years. Yesterday I tried connecting the two Windows Media Centers together and encountered the following problem. At first connecting the two MC's was easy and it seemed to work; my SL510's Media Center will play on the Xbox for a few seconds but will then disconnect. This happens no matter what I do. If I don't play anything it will take longer to crash, but as soon as I play media it will crash quickly.

As far as I can tell this is not a signal or connection problem from either end. The error message that appears on my XBOX is "A program on your windows media center pc has cause the XBOX 360 to disconnect. Would you like to reconnect?"

At the advice of this support page on Microsoft, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911123, I opened Event Viewer and found that the program that is interrupting my XBMC connect is 'ThinkPad NumLock/CapsLock Indicator.'

To be precise this the warning that Event Viewer logs right before XBMC crashes: "An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center, 'ThinkPad NumLock/CapsLock Indicator', could not retrieve the file name."

Does anyone have advice on howI can disable 'ThinkPad NumLock/CapsLock Indicator' or in any other way keep it from crashing my XBMC.

Please keep in mind have used many other XBOX and Windows help pages but have no come here because it appears that the problem stems from a ThinkPad process on my operating system.

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: Thinkpad NumLock/CapsLock Indicator crashes Xbox Media Center Extender

hey danleary25,

look in your Programs and Features, locate Hotkey Features.

if it is inside, uninstall it and try the XBMC again.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Paper Tape
danleary25

What's DOS?
badexperience

[ Edited ]

Hi Support,

I have EXACTLY the same experience listed by the originator of this thread, however I could not find a way to remove the

'ThinkPad NumLock/CapsLock Indicator' from my system. I could not find hotkey in my control panel uninstall programs, which was the previous advice given.

How to remove it? This is causing a bad experience.

Note that I am using a T420s with Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

Thanks!

What's DOS?
DouglasYX

I had the exact problem. Why not give an update to fix the issue?? This is a very bad experience.

Guru
ColonelONeill

I think it's just that WMC doesn't like other windows drawing their elements on top of it, which would conflict regardless.

Just a guess.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
What's DOS?
TopDog129

I have had the exact same problem. Tried the latest and greatest "Hotkey Features Integration" for Win7 drivers (v3.70.0003 released 13 Mar 2012) which includes "On Screen Display" package v6.60.03 and the problem was still reproducible (I am on a Lenovo T420).

The only way to get Xbox 360 extender to work is to uninstall the "On Screen Display" package. You can uninstall it by downloading the latest hotkey package from Lenovo site and when you run setup it gives the option to uninstall and you have to uninstall individual packages.

Not great. I would have expected this to be fixed by now and don't understand why other people have not discovered this issue as surely there must be a number of people using their Lenovo notebooks as media extenders round the home!

TD