Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
jfvg71

Trackpoint and TouchPad are not detected by the BIOS on SL400

Hello guys,

I received my new SL400 and Vista don't recognize the touchpad and trackpoint. All drivers for Vista are installed. Searching in the BIOS configuration under keyboard/mouse didn't found nothing relative to Trackpoint,Touchpad... Is possible that the ultranav system is unconnected to the mainboard?

Any help will be welcome.

Token Ring
Sxooter

Re: Trackpoint and TouchPad are not detected by the BIOS on SL400

I'd bet on a hardware issue.  If it's a new machine, try using the one key rescue to recover to a factory default install.  Or run a live CD like ubuntu or something on it, which should be able to see the thinkpointer / thinkpad.
Fanfold Paper
jfvg71

Sxooter,

I already tried to boot with an Ubuntu Ibex Live CD and nothing...can't see trackpoint and touchpad, is like they are not installed in the system,  i think that the ultranav cable is disconnected from the mainboard. I contacted my vendor and will send another notebook for me.

Blue Screen Again
francescoant

Same Issue on a SL500

by the way, should the Trackpoint and Touchpad appear as choices on the BIOS menu? According to an expert I spoke to, no. SL BIOS cannot disable Ultranav.

I took my SL500 for repair to a Lenovo assistance. Answer: "we have no idea, it should be something on the motherboard"

Maliha

Hi francescoant,

Have you tried opening up the keyboard and palmrest to see whether the cables are properly connected? see the videos here:- http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/

Hope it helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Blue Screen Again
francescoant

Maliha,

I checked all the cables. I also make them check to a Lenovo technician. They are ok.

Actually there are two connections, one going from the Touchpad and another going from the Trackpoint.

I have a question:

Do the SL500 BIOS have a function for enable/disable the Ultranav? I do not think so. Can you confirm it?

The Lenovo technician told me that he thinks the Ultranav does not receive anymore electricity from the CPU and I should put a new CPU. Does it make sense? Not to me, because when I connect the Touchpad plug (once opened the keyboard) it makes the typical sound of USB item connected. The board knows I connected something, therefore there must be electricity.

Maliha

[ Edited ]

francescoant wrote:

Maliha,

I have a question:

Do the SL500 BIOS have a function for enable/disable the Ultranav? I do not think so. Can you confirm it?

The Lenovo technician told me that he thinks the Ultranav does not receive anymore electricity from the CPU and I should put a new CPU. Does it make sense? Not to me, because when I connect the Touchpad plug (once opened the keyboard) it makes the typical sound of USB item connected. The board knows I connected something, therefore there must be electricity.

francescoant, I don't recall seeing this option in my SL400's BIOS, I'm pretty positive it never existed there.

Honestly I don't know enough to comment on lenovo's technician's point of view, but I think perhaps your keyboard and palmrest need to be replaced, if not those then maybe system board. If you have warranty on your system then ask lenovo to check and diagnose the problem.

I would also recommend running Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox on your UltraNav, Diagnostics -> Test a Device -> Other devices. Further, what happens when you press Fn+F8?

Maliha

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel

Blue Screen Again
francescoant

I tested the Trackpoint+Touchpad in another PC and it works fine.

My only doubt is the following now:

- the technicial says that, by exclusion, the only item to replace is the motherboard, since the Ultranav proved to be working.

But WHY the SL400 and SL500 are the only machines where the BIOS cannot enable/disable the ultranav? Could it be disabled now and just I don't have the functions to enable it again?

Blue Screen Again
francescoant

Malhia,

you wrote:

I would also recommend running Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox on your UltraNav, Diagnostics -> Test a Device -> Other devices. Further, what happens when you press Fn+F8?

If I do

Diagnostics -> Test a Device ->

...the Device is not listed (not exists or disabled somehow in the bios)

If I press Fn+f8 I get the message "Ultranav drivers not installed", but of course they are.

Maliha

I would suggest reinstalling the OS or trying booting from any Live CD of linux distro, time consuming I know nonetheless still better than costly motherboard replacement if turns out it was only a software issue.

As for why UltraNav option is not placed in SL's BIOS, only lenovo knows for certain.

Kudos!
Visit my YouTube Channel