Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
BillRaymond

Trouble replacing keyboard bezel on SL400

Hello all.  I am a new member of this board.  I replaced the power jack and hinge on my wife's ThinkPad SL400 and have encountered a problem when reassembling it:  When I removed the keyboard bezel, following the Lenovo service video, the connector on the mainboard for the volume control came apart. i.e. the little black piece that holds the end of the cable to the white connector body became totally separated.  I'm not sure whether or not this is "normal", but now, in trying to replace the bezel, I can;t seem to reconnect the volume control cable.

The cable is a flat length of plastic ribbon with conductors printed on it (like a long thin narrow circuit board) which inserts into a white female connector and is held in place by a black "wedge" that secures it.  I can't seem to figure out how to get the little black "wedge" thing inserted.  Is it likely I have completely destroyed the connector, or perhaps I am just trying to do it in the wrong manner.  Any suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: Trouble replacing keyboard bezel on SL400

hey BillRaymond,

welcome to the forums.

I believe this manual can help you out in replacing the bezel >> http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/guides-and-manuals/detail.page?DocID=UM001360

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Fanfold Paper
BillRaymond

Thank you, Serge, but I have downloaded and consulted the Hardware Maintenance Manual and haven't found a solution to the problem I'm having, which is reconnecting the volume control cable to the mainboard--I can't make the connector function.  Failing a solution, can I simply tape off the end of the cable to prevent short circuiting anything, and reassemble without the volume control connected--I can always use the software volume control if ever I should need to change the volume (usually I just leave the darn thing muted, anyway)?

andyP
Topics: 180
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 632

Billyraymond, welcome to the forum,

any chance you could upload a photo of the parts you're posting about to somewhere and provide a link here in this thread. It's hard to picture exactly what you have for an issue; sometimes a picture really helps to understand.

Thanks in advance

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Fanfold Paper
BillRaymond

Good idea.  It had occurred to me, but the connector and the "wedge", especially, is quite small.  However, I'll make an attempt to get a close up photo of the parts, post it and link to it in the next couple days.  Thanks for giving me the push to do so!

Fanfold Paper
BillRaymond

Okay, I've taken a few photos:  First, the connector body--

http://s19.postimage.org/m56s4o84j/connector_socket.jpg

Next, a photo of the cable inserted in the connector body-

http://s19.postimage.org/qscu6fvhf/connector_cable.jpg

A photo of what I refer to as the "wedge" for lack of a better term; not well focused, but you can make it out-

http://s19.postimage.org/3s66u3xnn/wedge1.jpg

Last, a clearer photo of the "wedge" from a different angle and in better focus-

http://s19.postimage.org/vtk87t2xv/wedge2.jpg

I can make out from the photos what I was unable to see with the naked eye--that there appear to be several of the "tines" on the "wedge" missing, perhaps broken off?  Also, it appears that I've been inserting the cable beneath the contacts in the connector body, but I can't be sure whether or not that may be my problem.  It doesn't seem that the missing/broken "tines" would cause the "wedge" not to seat and secure the cable in the connector and although I've tried, I can't see any other way to insert the cable above the contacts.

Fanfold Paper
BillRaymond

Since no one seems able to give advice, I think I'll just put the thing together without connecting this cable and hope for the best.