Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
madmike30269

Why is pcdrcui.exe such a Memory Hog?

Hi Folks:

COMPUTER IS THINKPAD SL410 (2842-K3U) running Windows 7

I have noticed that several times a day my computer/Internet speed slows down to a crawl.  When this happens I have been checking my active processes and find that pcdrcui.exe is suddenly running and using memory of 300K to 400K while a website shows up at about 60K.  I stop the process and things go great until this file starts running again.  

The little research I have done shows this is part of the Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox but I don't know what it is doing and why it takes up so much memory.  

Can I disable this file or do something to keep it from taking over my memory?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Why is pcdrcui.exe such a Memory Hog?

[ Edited ]

Hello and welcome,

Probably it's the Toolbox running a scheduled maintenance scan.

You should be able to manually launch the toolbox and configure it to not run scheduled scans.

I don't have a TP handy or I'd give you more specific instructions.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

What's DOS?
madmike30269

Hi Zolta:

Thanks for the help.  I went into the toolbox and it appears that all of the updates, etc are done at 3:00 a.m. once a day.  Diagnostics once a month.  This is something that is occurring several times a day... the pcdrcui.exe file running.  Let me know if you think of anything else.  

It isn't critical; just an irritant.  

Mike

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Hmm, not sure what's going on.

Have you ever let that .exe run to completion?  If it ever does...

It may be that each time you've killed, it tries to restart and complete that scheduled scan.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

What's DOS?
madmike30269

I can't know for sure, but based on the frequency that it pops up and the fact that my computer stays on most of the time whether I am in front of it or not, my guess is that it has completed what ever it is doing many times.  Who knows... I can't find anything scheduled on a more frequent basis than once a week so I am confused as well.  I wonder if it is searching for updates and I don't have control of the frequency of that?

Mike

Punch Card
gilbertshort

I seem to have a similar problem:

pcdrcui.exe has started running out of memory (4Gb on Lenovo A70) and keeps on throwing the following error:

CLR error 8007000e

Program will now terminate

and it just hangs the whole machine.

Any ideas what the solution is?

Paper Tape
pete_cressman

I have the same thing happen about every other day.  I don't see pcdrcui.exe terminate so I reboot.

Pete

Guru
ColonelONeill

If you don't need PC-Doctor, uninstall it.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Punch Card
rasa7777

Happened to me too. CPU usage shot to 100% and it consumed 8GB of memory, causing the whole system to appear sluggish, and several times, I had to hold down the power button recover.

Note, PC-Doctor is listed a "Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox" in "Programs and Features".

W530, i7-3820QM, FHD, 32GB 1600Mhz RAM, Quadro K2000M, 1024GB RAID-0 (2 Crucial 512GB SSDs), 256GB mSATA (ADATA SX300 SSD), Ultimate-N 6300, Bluetooth, Backlit Keyboard, BIOS 2.50
Blue Screen Again
wombat1

I have the exact same problem. Worse. the comptuer locks itself for 10-15 minutes  - you cant do anything - not even load Task manager. Finally if you wait long enought (and its never less than 10 minutes) you get task manager and you basical show that PCDRCUI.exe is hogging a ton of memory and the computer seems to be memory swapping to the disc for ever. Mostly I power the computer off - this lenovo toolbox is EVIL and I would like to work out how to remove it compeltely - I never get any useful messages anyway. This is happenting to me frequently