Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
bluc

sl500 cracks in case

Anybody else having trouble with stress cracks on bottom left/right of screen on sl500 model I think the hinge is to tight which is causing the plastic to crack. I have contacted support waiting to see if it is covered by warranty.
Punch Card
bluc

Re: sl500 cracks in case

so no one has had problems with hinges or monitor shroud on sl500 27464TM?
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

bluc,

We haven't seen any broader reports of this issue, but your diagnosis of your particular system is possible.  Any mechanical component like a hinge could potentially be out of spec and cause some potential issue.

As long as there aren't abrasions or signs of impact, I think you have a reasonable claim with support.

Have you made progress getting the unit fixed through service?

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
bluc

have sent it in fo repair took a while to get the go ahead to get it repaired under warranty (bout 3 weeks) has been a week since I heard it was being done under warranty(I am in australia they have to get parts in from over seas) so hopefully not to much longer till I have it back.Thanks for the reply!!
Paper Tape
KDog

The cracks have also just appeared on the lower left hinge mount plastic surround on my SL500.

The machine definitely hasn't been abused and has only been moved from my desk a couple of times.

I would be interested to see how you go with warrantee support as I can't really go without my machine for more then a few days.

Punch Card
bluc

They did the repaires under warranty took 4 weeks all up to get laptop back and I think bit of effort on there part to get the go ahead to do it under warranty in the end all good cheers.
Punch Card
kpscooty

[ Edited ]

ok cool they do cover it under warrenty, my left hinge cracked last week. Good to know

They should really make all the thinkpad series metal. Cheap Plastic :smileytongue: 

Message Edited by kpscooty on 07-05-2009 01:25 AM
SL400 2743CTO 2GB RAM. Core 2 Duo T5870 2.0GHz HITACHI 160GB 5400rpm
Punch Card
bluc

yea on mine it was the shroud the cracked not the hinge I agree they should be metal. I treated mine with kid gloves and it still broke the way some of the people I know treat there's, it would not last 5 minutes!!
Fanfold Paper
Tulsajohn

SL500 Cracks in Case - Not Dropped - This is a Design Defect

[ Edited ]

I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad in the US and took it to China on June, 2010. The computer is under warranty. Five weeks ago, two cracks appeared around the two hinges of the plastic frame. The Lenovo customer service center in Shenzhen, China refused to repair the cracks around the two hinges. They said that they've never seen that problem before. This is a very common problem, based on what I have read from different Lenovo users forum. Mark, can you please help? Thank you -