Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
DeanTaylor

text typing ruined by too-sensitive glide pad?

hello

When typing lengthy texts I would encounter a disruption of the sequence I just typed with the insertion point jumping to another line of text, the beginning of a line, etc.. The result, then, is the text is jumbled and replete with errors.

For example, if I were typing "Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall, Humpty Dumpty...", etc., when I look up to check my work I  might find,

"on thHumpty Dumpty sat e wall..."

The insertion point 'jumps' to somewhere else--usually to the beginning of the line I'm working on--for seemingly no reason whatsoever. In fact, I have watched it happen, where I would correct the error only to have it duplicate itself while I actually closely monitor the re-type.

Q1: since this NEVER happens when I use the desktop/mouse I own is it a fairly well-known mishap common to laptops/glidepads?

Q2: Is there a remedy?

Thank you

Dean

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: text typing ruined by too-sensitive glide pad?

Hit Fn+F8, click Manage Settings, open the Settings for the touchpad.

Find PalmCheck and increase the slider until the issue goes away.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Fanfold Paper
DeanTaylor

hi Colonel

1) Thank you for the Palm Check information. It had already been set to 'MAX' but I will explore this further. It sometimes seems so sensitive that all I need to do is hover near the glidepad to relocate the pointer/insertion point--either that, or it is repeating the error after I've just fixed it, i.e., my relocating the insertion point to the preferred location. The initial 'jump' may have been caused by my palm grazing the pad, but after correcting it seems to want to default to the erroneously assumed preferred location

2) What, in your experience, is the likelihood of my purchasing a hardcopy of the user manual and/or HMM? 

3) I have not had the occasion to use the battery on the SL510--it remains at home, plugged in.

Dean

Guru
ColonelONeill

1) PalmCheck should freeze the touchpad during typing, as well as for another second after you stop typing. You might want to make sure your UltraNav drivers are up to date.

2) Not sure if paper copies exist... PDFs are available on the support website though.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Fanfold Paper
DeanTaylor

hi Colonel

How would I determine if the Ultra Nav driver is up to date?

thanks

Dean

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Dean,

You could go to device manager, find the pointing device and double click on it.  The summary that opens should indicate driver version which you can compare to the version on our support site for your system.

If downlevel, you can manually download and install or you may be able to run ThinkVantage System Update and let it find this and other updates for you.  You can select which updates to install during the process...

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество