Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
Pedrogaris
Accepted Solution

Antivirus on safe mode

Hello I wanted to run the  antivirus in safe mode and I realize it was easier to press the thinkvantage button than F8, and may be better, it looks like windows doesn't even start, and there's just a button saying "run antivirus"

Great for that!

But

I discover that I have Symantec antivirus installed. Is it possible to put Kaspersky there? Because Norton make my PC slow, I just get Kaspersky, it can be nice to run kaspersky in that way. And that Norton wasn't updated at all.

Do I have the Norton license?

Thinkpad T61p type 6460-D8G

Retired Guru
ortegaluis

Re: Antivirus on safe mode

The antivirus provided with ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery is Symantec Antivirus. You can connect to the internet via ethernet and download the latest virus definitions. Then scan your computer.

It's not possible to install or use Kaspersky antivirus in this environment.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Serial Port
Pedrogaris

Thanks for your quick response. Do you know how can update the antivirus? because I didn't know that I have it installed.  should I update it in that mode? It doesn't give options, and using windows, it just doesn't appears.
Retired Guru
ortegaluis

When you open the antivirus program within ThinkVantage Rescue & Recovery, there should be an option to download the latest virus definitions.....Note: You must be connected to the internet via ethernet cable.

If you also have an antivirus installed within Windows Vista/XP, you should be able to update virus definitions while connected to the internet. To do this, open your antivirus program and click on the option for updating.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Serial Port
Pedrogaris

Ok I did that, it opens Opera browser, so I went to symantec web page, there I found a an update but it was designe for using it with windows and the normal symantec program, anyway it gives me the option to download norton antivirus 2009 as an update so I did't it. While I did it Opera crash, but it downloaded the softaware. But I didn't know how to run it when download I just put Open option but it didn't open anything.

In that mode Symantec doen't give any other option to update.

I try to go back symantec web page but opera crashes.

and I sudenly I could do nothing else cause an advert appears always X drive is full while X:\PDAGUI.LOG.

I have no idea what it means.

and after just another crash

Microsoft visual

C++ runtime library

run time error

program x:\PDASW.exe

while i try to restart. So I nedeed to restart with the fisical button.

I hope all these dosen't mean I destroyed thinkvantage. 

I alredy run my antivirus in safe mode, but it could be essyier to run it in the thinkvantage mode and it updates all the time I have nothing to do for that.  It found nothing but I run it because I accepted to install something I downloaded from the internet and does nothing at least visually so I don't really know what it was, may be a virus... if it was I don't know if the antivirus find it as a virus as I accepted it, I read on the internet that in that case is better to run the antivirus in safe mode.

Anyway is probably nothing.

I hope thinkvantage fix itself by that hope because I know nothing else to do with it.