Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
PeterTWJ
Accepted Solution

Free vs Paid Security Solutions [malware event]

[ Edited ]

Hi all

What's the difference between free and paid security solutions?

Is Windows Firewall, Defender and Microsoft Security Essential sufficient? 

and

What kind of users should use free security solutions and what kind of users need paid security solutions.

Please advise. Thanks! :smileyvery-happy:

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter
(Current: W520 4284-A99) (Refunded: W510 4876-A11)

=============================================
Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Dolby Home Theater v4 (ThinkMix V2)!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Lapt​ops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M155... 

Bugbatter

Re: Free vs Paid Security Solutions

Whether free or paid, sometimes is a personal choice based on need and budget. Some users are fine with free security. Others may prefer paid suites or paid individual products.

In general the paid products offer more features. While the detection may be using the same definitions, free products offer fewer scanning options than paid apps from the same company do.

One thing that free security applications usually do not offer is chat or phone support by the vendor other than via online forums. Something to watch out for with free products is the installation of components that the user may not want or need such as extra toolbars or trial products. These are usually an option checked by default. If such offerings are unwanted, be sure to uncheck them before installation.

To help users make a decision, there are companies such as AV-Test.org and AV-Comparatives that run tests every so often comparing the performance of paid products and free products.

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

Lenovo Advocate ~ I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

SpywareHammer

Microsoft MVP
Corrine

Regarding, "Is Windows Firewall, Defender and Microsoft Security Essential sufficient?", note that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) includes the anti-spyware engine of Windows Defender.

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security
Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SecurityGarden
Security Information and Malware Removal @LandzDown Forum
Microsoft MVP
Aiscer

Apart from actually having a limited budget of subscribing to or buying from off the shelf an AV/AM security solution would be the under the preference, know-how and geographical location of the user.

From where I am, subscription based security solutions would be for those who can pay for it yearly leaving much of the computer based population with very little choice but to find a free security solution. 

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
Lenovo Technology Partner
RoseG

[ Edited ]

hi PeterTWJ,

security companies these days provide an all-in-one solution: protection for pc, mac, smartphones, online storage plus the convenience of single-sign on during activation

i think this is one thing you won't get in free apps, but if you don't need those other solutions and what you need is the traditional scan and clean, even i would go for free solutions :smileyvery-happy:

cheers!

I am a Trend Micro employee.  My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience.  I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience. Find me in Trend Community
Fanfold Paper
kbynot1

.....but if you don't need those other solutions .

My question is- how do I know what I need?  Isn't much of the basic stuff (cleaning registry/cleaning up clutter/ done via automatic updates I set up via Windows XP or Lenovo?

Thanks for some clarification for a "technology challenged" oldster.

Microsoft MVP
Corrine

Hi, kbynot1.

No, the "basic stuff" is not done via automatic updates or your antivirus software program.   The first step would be to check Add/Remove programs and uninstall programs no longer being used.  There are safe steps you can take to clean up the clutter.  This article at "Microsoft at Home" has good tips, although it may not be necessary to run once a week as the article suggests:   Increase PC speed: Optimize your computer, help your PC run faster.

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security
Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SecurityGarden
Security Information and Malware Removal @LandzDown Forum