Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
BernardP
Accepted Solution

How can I uninstall Symantec VIP Access Client?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Soon after getting my new Thinkpad E520 (W7 Home Premium), I uninstalled Norton Antivirus Trial and installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

But there remains in the Program Files (x86) Folder a Symantec/VIP Access Client program that pops up request for updates.

It doesn't show in  Add/Remove programs. I would like to know what this program is supposed to do.

After searching on the web, I downloaded and ran Norton Removal Tool, but VIP Access Client is still there.

Of course, I could trash the folder and scan the registry to delete as many entries as I can, but I would like to find a more elegant solution ;-)

Token Ring
BernardP

Re: How can I uninstall Symantec VIP Access Client?

As explained in my OP, I had already run Norton Removal Tool and this doesn't remove Symantec VIP Access. I did it again with the same result.

But once I realized that Symantec VIP Access is simply VIP Access in the programs list, I was able to uninstall it through Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall.

Thanks

Bugbatter

I was just about to post a reply, but you beat me to it!  Glad that you were able to resolve the problem. :smileyhappy:

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

Lenovo Advocate ~ I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

SpywareHammer

Token Ring
BernardP

Thanks. It's ironic that despite spending 20 minutes on the Symantec web site, I was not able to find direct info about what  VIP Access Client is and what it does (apart from asking for updates...). Since it's related to Verisign acquisition by Symantec, I guess it must have something to do with securing web transactions. Too late now... It's outta here!

GMAC-R60
Kudos: 161
Solutions: 96

[ Edited ]

https://vipmobile.verisign.com/learnmore.v

http://www.symantec.com/business/products/support.jsp?pcid=pcat_info_risk_comp&pvid=vip_1

just so you can see what it is

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Token Ring
BernardP

Thanks GMAC...

Seeing what it is, I have no use for this and won't miss it

Paper Tape
daycartes

Thanks BernardP. I had the same problem, now resolved. What do you think of your e520?