Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
ecbritz
Accepted Solution

How do I force Lenovo Y560p to start in Safe Mode?

My Avira Anti-Virus program has alerted me to hidden viruses. These viruses can only be removed by booting up with an Avira Rescue Disk, or by starting the computer in Safe Mode and then running my anti-virus program in Safe Mode. My Lenovo Y560p will not bootup with the Avira Rescue Disk. Neither will it start in Safe Mode when I hold down F8 during startup. In both cases, Windows 7 (64bit) is starts normally, overriding the Avira Rescue Disk in the optical DVD drive or F8 being held down. (I've also tried F6.) How can I force the machine to start in Safe Mode, so that I can get rid of the hidden viruses?

Serial Port
madseason

Re: How do I force Lenovo Y560p to start in Safe Mode?

Press F8 Before the Windows 7 Splash Screen, this have to work.
=============================================================================================
y460, i7 640m, 8GB 1066 CL-7, 80GB SSD Intel 310 pci-e + 500GB HDD WD, ATI 5650m + eGPU GTX 560 Ti 2GB GDDR5
Fanfold Paper
ecbritz

Thanks for the appreciated reply. The problem with pressing F8 is when exactly to press it. Holding it down while waiting for the Windows splash did not enable Safe Mode bootup. However, I tried pressing F8 repeatedly, rapidly, in order to catch the right moment. This worked. At a certain moment, at a certain quick press-down of F8, the normal Windows bootup was interrupted and I could go into Safe Mode. That problem solved.

If a complete system scan with Avast Anti-virus will remove the hidden viruses -- in Safe Mode -- I still have to see. I installed Avast temporarily seeing that my Avira program -- the most expensive version -- did not prevent the hidden virus infection.

Avast offers a "scan at boot-up" option, which you have to schedule. This sounds promising for hidden viruses, so I'm doing it right now.

How good is Microsoft Security Essentials, the free version of Microsoft One-Care? (MSE actually replaced One-Care completely.) I've lost confidence in Avira -- surely Microsoft will offer the very best anti-virus protection, even if the program is free?

Serial Port
madseason

For over 2 years now I am running Norton Internet Security. It is scanning every file I am downloading, and never had any virus, malware nor performance issue. I worked for them for few years so I know I can trust it.
=============================================================================================
y460, i7 640m, 8GB 1066 CL-7, 80GB SSD Intel 310 pci-e + 500GB HDD WD, ATI 5650m + eGPU GTX 560 Ti 2GB GDDR5
Bugbatter

Hi ecbritz,

Welcome to Lenovo Community. :smileyhappy:

There is no magic bullet. There is no one-size-fits-all. If you were to use an all-in-one (suite) such as Norton Internet Security, you would be getting the definitions from just one vendor. Different security vendors find different things. One also has to wonder if a company known for anti-virus protection is equally as good as one that specializes in firewall protection.This is not to say that more than one anti-virus should be installed. Use only one AV. A layered approach with "the best of all worlds" usually is advisable.

To address your question, I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (free) or Eset's NOD32 Antivirus (paid). Over the years I have used Norton, Trend Micro, AVG, Avast!, MSE and NOD32. I have remained with MSE and NOD32 on my computers. None of my computers have ever had an infection.

For the next layer, I add Malwarebytes (free on-demand is good; paid with realtime protection is better).

As far as online browser security, along with your anti-virus and anti-spyware software,  Web Of Trust , uses colored alerts to warn you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:

• Red for Warning = STOP
  • Yellow for Use Caution
  • Green for Safe
  • Grey for Unknown

There is a Web Of Trust version for Firefox as well.

You might also want to install SpywareBlaster:  http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
It will:
Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.
Tutorial here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial49.html
Periodically check for updates.

Several of us here run Winpatrol. Winpatrol is heuristic protection program, meaning it looks for patterns in codes that work like malware. It also takes a snapshot of your system's critical resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without you knowing. You can read more about Winpatrol's features here.  You can download a free copy of Winpatrol or use the Plus version for more features.
You can read Winpatrol's FAQ if you run into problems.

Many of us in the online security community have tried and tested programs to determine their abilities. Please remember that there is no guarantee regarding computer security. However, the available software, combined with good surfing habits and keeping the software updated will contribute to helping your system running safely.

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

Lenovo Advocate ~ I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

SpywareHammer

Fanfold Paper
ecbritz

Thanks for all the advice. The matter that concerns me most at this point, is how to detect and remove hidden viruses. My paid Avira program will detect them and has detected them. But the next step indicated was to use the Avira Rescue Disk to boot up my computer and clean away the hidden viruses. At that point I could not proceed because my Lenovo Y560p would not boot with the Avira Rescue Disk.

An Avira Rescue Disk can be created at any moment by downloading a constantly-updated ISO from the internet. The freshly updated ISO is then burnt to a optical disk. The problem is that this freshly created Avira Rescue Disk will not boot up my Lenovo Y560p, as I've said. I don't know how to make the disk bootable on my machine. Any advice on this will be highly appreciated!

Avast offers a scan-at-boot-up-time option which should logically be able to detect hidden viruses and perhaps delete them, I'm not sure. I tried Avast scan-at-boot-up-time. It detected a corrupted temporary internet file which could be cleaned away with CCleaner.

MSE has no scan-at-boot-up-time option. But there is a third road one can follow, I've read. By gently "pumping" F8 you can find the right moment to interrupt an O/S bootup and go into Windows Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, you can run MSE and do a scan. The hidden viruses should be exposed to discovery and erasure by MSE in Safe Mode.

Is this true? Any comments on this? How else could MSE dicover and remove hidden viruses?

Another question: Some advisers say you should do the "hidden virus" scan from Safe Mode, others say you should choose Safe Mode with Networking. Which mode should I choose for a MSE scan? Note that hidden viruses tend to rebuild themselves if the affected computer is connected to the internet.

Bugbatter

By gently "pumping" F8 you can find the right moment to interrupt an O/S bootup and go into Windows Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, you can run MSE and do a scan. The hidden viruses should be exposed to discovery and erasure by MSE in Safe Mode.

That is true, however I cannot tell you definitely what one or another AV will absolutely do. There are several variables involved. It depends on the type of infection that you are dealing with as well as the configuration of your system. Some general anti-virus scanners can simply not deal with certain infections. If someone has difficulty, my advice would be to post in a forum dedicated to removing malware and staffed by folks who have gone through extensive training in doing so. They will attempt to diagnose the infection and will work with you one-on-one. The staff has access to special tools that target specific infections. If all else fails, there's always a reformat and reinstall of the operating system.

To address your recent problem, it might be good to get a follow-up opinion to be sure there aren't any suspicious files or remnants lingering around. If you post at SpywareHammer to have the staff trained in malware removal walk you through the diagnostic logs I can alert staff to pick up your topic as soon as possible. Please use the same username as here. Help is free, but you will need to register there. If you prefer to post at another forum, see this list for a few others using trained volunteers. Help is free at all of them, but you will need to register and post in the forum dedicated to malware removal.

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

SpywareHammer

Fanfold Paper
ecbritz

Thanks a stack. I have copied your information to a special file about AV which I'll consult every time I encounter a problem of this nature. Excellent advice!

Bugbatter

You are most welcome. Feel free to visit this forum often if you have any questions or just want to talk tech.  :smileyhappy:

SpywareHammer