Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bugbatter

How to Recognize A PC Support Scam

by David Harley Senior Research Fellow at Eset
April 18, 2012

A while ago, I responded to a blog comment promising some thoughts on how to recognize a cold-calling PC support scam. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do that immediately, and then I was on vacation with no Internet connectivity (I should do that more often!). But then, since the problem isn't going to disappear any time soon, I guess advice on how to recognize it before you hand over any cash isn't going to pass its best-by date too soon, either.

Continued here: http://blog.eset.com/2012/04/18/how-to-recognize-a-pc-support-scam

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

Lenovo Advocate ~ I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

SpywareHammer

Bugbatter

Re: How to Recognize A PC Support Scam

I thought the information about caller ID spoofing was interesting in today's blog from Sophos, so I've decided to add it to this topic.

"...People put a lot of blind faith in seemingly reliable technologies like caller ID, but it is in fact trivial to spoof.

Why is this? Caller ID is quite a dated technology and was bolted onto to the existing phone network nearly 30 years ago.

The information about who is calling you is sent down the wire "in-band", meaning the information is transmitted on the same wire that carries your voice.

With Voice over IP (VoIP) technology you can falsify this information making your calls to appear to originate from any number you choose and the criminals appear to have caught on to this fact..."

Complete article: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/04/19/fraudulent-calls-target-us-banks-another-look-at-caller-i...

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

SpywareHammer

Microsoft MVP
Corrine

The Microsoft Online Privacy & Safety has a good article, Avoid Phone Scams | Cybercriminal Tech Support Scam | Security Threats.

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security
Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SecurityGarden
Security Information and Malware Removal @LandzDown Forum
802.11n
emmjay

[ Edited ]

This is an excellent subject to have posted on a PC forum such as this. I am hoping that everybody takes the time to read the attached links. Thanks guys for bringing this to our attention. I have received several calls from these low-life, pond scum ratbags. Just yesterday I received a call and the caller said he was from the GTPS Security Company and that my PC was flooding the internet with network errors and that this had to be stopped immediately. He stated that it was definitely my IP address as my ISP had confirmed it. Fortunately I was aware of this scam and being raised not to be rude to anybody (even a low-life, pond scum ratbag), I asked him "how in thunders name can a Linux system do that" He hung up!

T23: 2647-8RU, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
A61E: 6418-12U, W7/Pro 64
X200: 7454-CTO, W7/Pro 32

Bugbatter

Hi emmjay,

I received a cold call from someone about 10 days ago. He assured me that if I purhased his PC maintenance plan, the techs would take remote control of my computer and fix whatever was wrong even if I couldn't get online. I politely rephrased my questions, but he always gave the same answers. I couldn't make him understand that without a connection, nobody was going to take remote control of anything.  I asked more questions than he had answers for, so he made up most of his answers. He even gave me a number and an extension where I could return his call. I'll give him credit for trying, though. He called back a week later.

I think the best advice is to just hang up, but I wanted to get contact numbers and use up his time. I kept him on the phone for almost half an hour. I figured that was half an hour when he couldn't be scamming some unsuspecting person.

SpywareHammer

What's DOS?
henryetta

I noticed this problem so I created a website at OmniTech Support Scams.

Bugbatter

Thanks, henryetta. Many people have been trying to keep the public informed of these scams.

The following was just posted at Bleeping Computer:

======================

Beware of Phone Telephone Scammers Calling on Behalf of Google

Courtesy of Grinler at Bleeping Computer:

A new phone scam is underway where people are receiving phone calls by people who state that they calling on behalf of Google. These callers state that they received your name and number from the Google Database and that Google had detected that your computer was infected or had a problem. They further stated that they worked for Gooseberry Tech, who has a partnership with Google to offer a free remote troubleshooting evaluation of your computer. If you agree to this evaluation, they will have you download TeamViewer and will then use it to take remote control of your computer. They will then proceed to poke around your computer, look at event viewer, and check your programs. While doing this they will point out "serious" and "alarming" problems on your computer. When they are done scaring you, they go in for the kill by trying to sell you a one-time fix, for $100, or a maintenance contract for $199.

This is not the first time phone scammers have pretended to be from large companies and offering free troubleshooting services. In the past, phone scammers were calling people and stating that they were from Microsoft who had detected that their computer had a problem. They would then offer to remotely fix their computer for a fee. Eventually Microsoft caught wind of this scam and warned about these scammers on their Windows blog.

Continued here with details:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic453721.html

SpywareHammer

What's DOS?
unbound

FYI Phone scammer called today from 661-771-6568. Said he was with Microsoft. Said my computer reported a virus and he needed to fix it. Asked me to type show my pc dot com....I asked for his name to confirm. He then gave me the 661 number. Just purchased the computer.  Wanted to say beware, they're still out there. He actually rang back 3 times. I didn't answer.