Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
MRG1

I think I have a VIRUS, TROJAN or something! Help! Urgent!

[ Edited ]

I had a post up months ago about this. My problems went away, so it was decided that I did not have a virus or Trojan.

NOW I THINK I DO! Internet service has slowed down to a crawl. It started about four days ago. I can get work done in the morning and then in the afternoon everything slows down to a crawl- I can't get anything done. It is like that for hours and hours. I am not sure if it is my ISP or external modem, but I contacted them both anyway and complained. (If anyone knows of any ATT dial up changes, please let me know.) I can always get a new modem or change ISP.

From my first experience here, I started using Security Essentials. I kept it updated and ran it often. I ran bothSecurity Essentials and Windows Defender. Neither one found anything. I opened and ran DDS, if anyone is interested in looking at it.  Since now my connection is so slow, downloading is not a good idea. I know this might complicate the process.)

Last time around, I was instructed to download System Sweeper. I did download it, but never used it. Would it be ok to try it now? Essentials can't come up with anything, but I would like to try the sweeper. (Unless it would be a waste of time.)

I don't know what to do. Honestly, I am dumbfounded by the drop in internet speed. I wanted to run Malware Bites and Avast, but updating would take all night

ANY IDEAS?

THANK YOU!

Bugbatter

Re: I think I have a VIRUS, TROJAN or something! Help! Urgent!

[ Edited ]

I have reviewed your topic from August. Often with malware infections, the proverb "A stitch in time saves nine" is true. Please follow my instructions HERE. You can post a recent DDS log instead of HijackThis if you cannot download HijackThis. Please include with that post a link to August's diagnosis in which "it was decided that I did not have a virus or Trojan."  By doing that, your helper will have a history of what happened.

To answer your question, yes, you could try System Sweeper. However, do not install Avast. It will conflict with MSE and make matters worse.

photo XmasReindeer.png

Lenovo Advocate ~ I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

SpywareHammer