Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
noobnoob
Accepted Solution

Is jailbreaking my smartphone bad?

Hello experts

I am an IPhone user and also own an Android tablet (the Lenovo A1 tablet).

I was told that I shouldn't jailbreak my iPhone or root my tablet. I really like to have access to all the apps (for free - who doesn't!)  Why can't I do so?

Thank you for your attention!

goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 348
Solutions: 132

Re: Is jailbreaking my smartphone bad?

Hello,

The point about going through an authorized application store for a device is one of trust.  The vendor who operates the app store, be it Apple, Google, Lenovo, Microsoft, etc. has a vested interest in making sure no malicious applications (or even just useless, dodgy ones) get into their store.  Some app store operators perform checks to ensure that a minimum quality level and certain behaviors by applications are enforced.

If you are thinking about rooting or jailbreaking the device in order to bypass those all those checks, well, you are giving up a measure of your safety.  Also, if you've found a paid-for app that's being offered for free on some unauthorized "gray market" app store, it's possible that it has been modified in some way to leak your personal information, and possibliy even install a trojan horse.

All in all, I would not recommend it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español
Paper Tape
noobnoob

Hi goretsky

Thank you... my friends have jail-broken their phones - does that mean mobile devices are at risk of infection? How do we check for that?

danke..

Microsoft MVP
Aiscer

I would agree with goretsky. Having a rooted or jailbroken phone or any handheld not just exposes your device to risks for your privacy and data but also voids the warranty.

There are numerous Mobile-AV products that can be installed. Although, I firmly suggest to restore the product back to the Original Manufacturer's OS/Firmware and then run or install a Mobile-AV software.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security
Bugbatter

For those readers who are unfamiliar with the terms "jailbreaking" or "rooting" that means giving the owner access to system files not normally accessed. As mentioned above, a jailbroken phone will not be covered on your warranty.  To clarify the security risk a bit more, it is that while you have root permission you may give root permission to applications that can turn out to be rogue or leak their permission to allow untrusted applications to gain root-like permission.

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

Lenovo Advocate ~ I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

SpywareHammer

Microsoft MVP
Corrine

Although noobnoob's question regarding jailbreaking is in relation to iPhone, I thought it was interesting when PCWorld reported,

QUOTE:

"Windows Phone 7 users who want to jailbreak their phones in a Microsoft-approved fashion can now download and install ChevronWP7 Labs for $9."

According to the article, using ChevronWP7 to unlock (jailbreak) the phone will not invalidate the warranty and Microsoft support for the phone will still be available.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It should be noted that jailbreaking/rooting may or may not be legal in your country, so check with your country's laws for specifics.

In the 2010 review of the anticircumvention rulemakings, the U.S. Copyright Office determined that bypassing a manufacturer's protection mechanisms to allow "handsets to execute software applications" is permissible:

From  U.S. Copyright Office - Anticircumvention Rulemaking :

QUOTE:

"(2) Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset."

As already stated, however, doing so will, in all probability, invalidate any guarantee or warranty on your device.

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security
Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SecurityGarden
Security Information and Malware Removal @LandzDown Forum
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,325
Solutions: 285

Corrine,

Thanks for sharing that - interesting angle. 

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
noobnoob

Thank you. Guess I will have to cough up money then... 

Lenovo Technology Partner
RoseG

[ Edited ]

hi noobnoob,

that's also my dilemma - to root or not to root my S2

it frustrates me when my smartphone is not so smart to even last me a day T_T

i think this is also a dilemma of android users who (have been abandoned and) did not receive any more updates but fear the risks of infection

so safety or convenience+fun? i've been checking xda forums to see what's new and (drools)...i really want to do it! so i've been trying different security apps from our very own mobile security personal edition 2.0 to lookout, wave secure and the likes, i'm also checking different infographics report where the landscape of mobile threats is headed (i dont want to be too scared of something which is maybe not coming) 

as of now no conclusion yet, my phone is still not rooted and still suffering from battery drain and no bragging rights

as for mobile security, im sticking with tmms hehehe :smileyvery-happy:

cheers!

I am a Trend Micro employee.  My comments and advice come from my personal knowledge and experience.  I’m happy to volunteer what I can to help others have a great Trend Micro experience. Find me in Trend Community