Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
cowalchemist

URGENT. T61 No Network Access. Says internet is connected but no connection.

I have a Thinkpad T61. My laptop says it's connected to the internet (wireless) but when I open up anything that uses the internet, there's no connection. For the 'activity,' it says 8 packets have been sent and 8 have been received. The number is very very slowly growing. Ethernet doesn't work either.

Also, I'm not sure if these help, but:

1. I got a virus a week ago (XP Security 2012 virus) and since then, the internet hasn't worked.

2. The icon for wireless isn't showing in the bottom right of the blue toolbar at the bottom of my screen.

Any ideas? Please help. :smileysad:

DAF
802.11n
DAF

Re: URGENT. T61 No Network Access. Says internet is connected but no connection.

[ Edited ]

If you connected to a wired LAN with the same results it would rule out a problem with the wireless adapter or wi-fi router. Have you modified anything in the OS recently except for the virus? Have you tried anti-virus cleanup?

You can try removing the wireless adapter in device manager and then reboot. Windows will discover it again and install the driver.  That has help before when the wireless goes haywire on me. Although if the LAN does the same it seems that its something else

Something obvious but still relevant: Is your Internet service up? Have you checked with a different computer?

E420, i5, 8GB, 500GB/7200, 32GB mSATA, Win 8.1 Pro x64
T61, 4GB, 500GB Hybrid, Win 8.1 Pro x64
Bugbatter

Re: URGENT. T61 No Network Access. Says internet is connected but no connection.

[ Edited ]

cowalchemist, the infection that you had has been reported to be bundled with a rootkit. There is a chance that there was an incomplete removal and/or that some settings were not restored. What procedure did you use to clean it?  In some cases, we've had to remove the winsock keys and rebuild the TCP/IP stack.  If you can give me more information, I will be able to get a better diagnosis and proceed with what can be done to repair your connection.

photo XmasReindeer.png

Lenovo Advocate ~ I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

SpywareHammer

Token Ring
parmardilan

download norton power eraser and run with rootkit and then it will clean ur computer for GOOD http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.aspx?
ThinkPad Twist S230U-
OS-Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU-Intel Core i7 3517U @ 1.90GHz Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM-8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard-LENOVO 3347CTO (CPU Socket - U3E1)
Graphics-Wide viewing angle & High density FlexView Display 1366x768 (1366x768@60Hz) Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Lenovo)
Storage-298GB Seagate ST320LT007-9ZV142 (SATA) 22GB SanDisk SSD U100 24GB (SSD) 29GB SDHC Card (SCSI)
Audio-Realtek High Definition Audio
Microsoft MVP
Corrine

Norton Power Eraser won't be able to help repair the Internet connection.  As Bugbatter said, there seems to be a tendency for that particular rogue to include a particularly nasty rootkit.

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security
Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/SecurityGarden
Security Information and Malware Removal @LandzDown Forum