Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
ecbritz

Which AV programs will remove hidden files in Safe Mode?

This post continues a previous post in which I got excellent advice from Bugbatter. Unfortunately, I still miss an important piece from the puzzle of how to remove hidden viruses signalled by one's AV program. The SpywareHammer site to which Bugbatter kindly refered me, seems to have closed. I could not open it. Finding myself in a country with internet censors blocking suspicious sites, its possible that the "Spy" name sounded suspect (ha-ha). But be that as it may, I can't go there for advice.

My remaining question is: Which AV programs will remove hidden viruses in Safe Mode, and which AV programs will not? Running MSE, it looks as if the program is scanning files in Safe Mode. But in the Report at the end, MSE says that 0 files have been scanned. So was there an actual scanning and cleaning operation, or not?

This question is important, because if Safe Mode really provides a means to expose and remove hidden viruses, one should know which program to run. I would certainly do a Safe Mode scan regularly, of all files on my computer, if this will do a more thorough job than scanning the computer with Windows fully loaded.

Bugbatter

Re: Which AV programs will remove hidden files in Safe Mode?

ecbritz wrote:

Finding myself in a country with internet censors blocking suspicious sites, its possible that the "Spy" name sounded suspect (ha-ha). But be that as it may, I can't go there for advice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not notice your location when you posted. SpywareHammer has not closed. The problem is either your country's filters or SpywareHammer's filters.  Nevertheless, the theory behind cleaning in Safe Mode is that the malware files may not be running, thus it may be easier to remove them. As mentioned above, I cannot say which AV's to use in Safe Mode because there are several variables involved. Some specialized scanners work better in Normal Mode. If cleaning with a general anti-virus program provided by Symantec, McAfee, etc. I would try it in Safe Mode first.

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please click the "Accept As Solution" button.

Lenovo Advocate ~ I am not employed by Lenovo or Microsoft. I am a volunteer.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security

SpywareHammer