Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
palemoonrises

2 issues with new t510, depot "can't reproduce".. any thoughts?

I sent my t510 in to depot for repair, however, a few days later, they called and said they "can't reproduce my problem... " basically - I'm full of poo. I wasn't happy.

here's the scoop.

1. the dynamic brightness kicks in , and dims the screen, however, occassionally - when it does this, the colors fade away with the brightness, and the screen becomes washed out. Manually turning the brightness up or down brings the colors back (after a few seconds). OR just waiting a few seconds after the colors washed out in the first place, allows the colors to come back. When the colors wash out, it's not a "small wash out".. It's a big deal - it looks HORRIBLE.

2. Often, when I shut the computer down (on battery, or a/c power). Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit shuts down, just fine. However, power to the computer doesn't turn off fully. The battery light on the outside lid is still lit up, and you can hear the fan running on the exhaust port (left hand side). If you want to turn the computer back on at this point, you cannot just push the power button (like you normally would). You have to hold it for 4-5 seconds. Wait. Then push the power button (like you normally would).

Apparently, the depot can't reproduce this problem. And to make matters worse - tech support didn't even document my issues correctly, and I have a feeling, the depot repair techs didn't exactly know what they were looking for.

Anyone have any thoughts?

802.11n
Volker1

Re: 2 issues with new t510, depot "can't reproduce".. any thoughts?

1) sounds like the aggressive powermanagement that others have already reported. If you don't want it you can disable it somewhere, search the forum. But its operating according to spec.

2) is a windows problem, did you restore to factory settings?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
palemoonrises

[ Edited ]

I nuked the entire system, and put my own (legal) copy of WIndows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on the computer. It's the most recent copy, not some beta, or what have you .

Ctrl-Alt-Del
palemoonrises

And everything I've found in the forum that has to do with the pixelated (shifted pixels), and washed out colors), deals with NVIDIA graphics. I have integrated graphics.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

[ Edited ]

depot takes out your hdd, they put in their own hdd with the diagnostic program, if your problem was software based, then they wouldn't able to pick it up.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
palemoonrises

Well I've modified the integrated graphics power settings, and disabled them. Hopefully, that disables the fuzzy / washed out effect that occurs.

As far as the other issue - Windows shuts down fine.. but the computer doesn't turn off. I don't believe that to be OS related. It seems to be power related. If it keeps happening, I'll re install Windows 7 . It's a copy from Microsoft TechNet.

Thanks for the help ! :smileyhappy:

Retired Guru
sys3175

How much ram is in the system and in what configuration?  Do you have mismatched size dimm's?  That can cause issues with some versions of the drivers for intel graphics.

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 8 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Blue Screen Again
emobo

I have a brand new T510 from my company. Totally legit and configured by a pro, and I see the behavior as well. It happens when I'm the battery. Not sure whats going, but it's kinda strange. Don't know much other than that for now. My guess is a hardware issue with the dimming circuitry.

Sadly, given my experience with my T400. This will go without Lenovo's attention for a while...

Paper Tape
NOTORIOUS_VR

I have the same issue as the OP (screen washing out for a few seconds)... It's really, really annoying. The system is a brand new T510, factory install, etc.

Just had another issue happen to another T510 as well.. the **bleep** CD/DVD drive won't power on again. Was working fine a few hours ago. Nothing I could do would make the power manager turn it back on other then a reboot.

I'm starting to doubt Levovo's quality here (obviously it's their software that is causing the headaches), something I never thought I would say to myself (long time thinkpad user).
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

try to update the bios firmware and see whether that fixes the issues.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft