Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
ThinkpadBreaker

Another T500 random shutdown

I purchaced a used Thinkpad T500 off ebay about a month ago it worked fine for the first month no problems at all then one day it suddanly shut its self off and wouldn't come back on no lights at all. The lights came back on after removing the battery and unplugging but went off again as soon as I tried to turn it back on. I removed the hard drive and it came back on again so i took the hard drive out of another laptop and put it in and it loaded ubuntu from it. which ran for about 10 minutes and shutdown again this time the lights remained on but attempting to turn it on failed until the hdd was removed. with no hdd in the computer at all it runs pc doctor from cd for quite some time but then eventually went off same with running ubuntu from usb.

When left alone for some time the laptop will eventually come on again and run normally for a short time then the same pattern repeats its self. With no hdd in at all it will run the pc doctor load test for quite some time without shuting down. The tempertures are fine all around mid 30s 45 was the highest recorded in the short periods it was fully working.

I have read alot about these problems but none are the same as mine only thing I can think on now that might be causing the error is a voltage problem on the motherboard so I thought I would post here to see if anyone knows of a solution that doesn't require replacing the motherboard.

System information:

T500 Type 2243-4DG

CPU intel P8400 2.26ghz

Intel graphics

2GB memory

90W charger

Battery practically dead attached when it first happened not attached during testing

Default HDD hitachi 160GB 5400RPM

Test HDD Seagate 500GB 720RPM

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Re: Another T500 random shutdown

Well its likely a hardware problem.

You can do and F8 boot and I believe memory diagnostics is on that page in Windows 7 or from a boot CD.

- hardware test memory

- Identify the HD manufacture and model number and go the respective site and run their HD diagnostics on the drive. Could be a bad HD and that would be my best guess.

- you can blow out the cooling channel with an aerosol can of compress air. Do it from the air intake which is in reverse. Dust will accumulate in there.

In Windows 7 you can check the critical even logs.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Paper Tape
ThinkpadBreaker

The first time i tried a memory test it shutdown in the same way near the end i tried each module one at a time and they both made it to the end i meant to try it with only one module running normal but forgot i will try that now as i was typing it went off so ignore that.

The airways are clean and i reapplied the termal paste didn't change anything I thought it was the problem because how the laptop shuts off is exactly the same as a thermal shutdown test in pc doctor.

I swaped the hdd with another thinkpad and ran a bios disk test on both. both made it to the end but shortly after the t500 went off while the other with the t500's hdd went on hdd seems to affect the problem but not the cause of it.

only critical errors are invalid shutdown ones no helpful details there was an error that happened a few times on the morning that hadn't happened before

"The description for Event ID 15 from source TPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer."

and since there has been a few of this warning

"The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS."

don't think that could cause this sort of problem though

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Small chance it could be the power supply. Is the battery charged and will it run on it for at least 15-30min.

I would still run HD diagnostic since doing so will test the drive and controllers. The drives and motherboard chipset controller.

The other HD came out of the T500 as well?
How hot is it getting. I use CoreTemp on my system to monitor my cores.
Paper Tape
ThinkpadBreaker

I have tried it on another charger but its 65w i was going to get a 90w one from work tomorrow to test it as 65w isn't enough for a t500 the event logs show that it is throtling the cpu on the 65w charger. The battery is pretty much dead holds maybe 5 minutes.

the other hdd came out of my x60 tablet it is a replacement drive though not the one that came with it all the tests i have ran passed including hdd tests says the controller is fine sometimes it dies in the middle of the tests though.  I have also run it on a usb drive containing ubuntu with no hdd plugged in and it happens as well but takes much longer than if the hdd is plugged in which is why i am thinking power/voltage issue because the hdd draws quite a bit of power seems a bit wierd that the 7200rpm one last longer than the 5400rpm one i would assume the 7200 would draw more power so there might be an issue with the hdd as well but i am sure its not the problem i thought i was getting off easy at first when it seemed like the hdd.

tempertures are low and no spikes that i can see before it dies it just dies 45c is the max i have recorded average around high 30s hdd is 28-31c.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Well it seems it is a power problem. Internal to the motherboard most likely but if you get another external 90watt PS give it a go.

Some thinkpads had the DC connector soldered to the motherboard and the soldering would fracture due to excessive force repeated over time. Resolder it is the fix or if the connector is really damaged a new one soldering. You have to disassemble the whole bloody thing though to get at it. The fracture could cause it to loose power or drop and kill the system. If the batter had juice it would just switch over and back as it changed conduction.

Trouble shooting and observice all symptoms.

Good luck
Paper Tape
ThinkpadBreaker

same thing with a different 90w charger last thing to check is the dc connector quickly ruling out everything but the motherboard which will cost more to replace than the laptop cost.