Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Zuffox

Are my Lenovo partitions useful at all?

One works as recovery, I think - the other one I have no idea about; some random software (bloatware) and a Showroom folder, whatever that is. I'm going to install Windows 7, so I don't want anything that has an XP preload like the one that shipped with my laptop, but I still want to retain Lenovo's recovery features without limiting my options. I don't want any bloatware partitions, though. I'm not exactly clear on exactly what they do. Are any of them worth keeping?

Lenovo FTSS - Contributor
ThinkGreen

Re: Are my Lenovo partitions useful at all?

Hi,

I recommend to create recovery media. So you have a CD/DVD set available once you want to go back to your initial preload.

you'll find it in START - Programs - ThinkVantage.

The first medium is the Boot CD (you should use a CD as a DVD is wasted free space) the next media (number depending on imagesize - normally one) should be DVDs (not sure whether Blueray would work - I have none)

If you have installed Rescue and Recovery, you can use that tool to make a snapshot of your system as is (instead of the preload as it was shipped)

You will not be able to create the recovery media once you killed the partitions.

Maybe it's also a good Idea to copy the contents of the C:\SWTools folder as it holds all drivers (maybe outdated but still better than nothing) and the OS Fixes AND APPLICATIONS like WinDVD and the Sonic burning tools.

cYa ... Dirk©

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
As money not spent, won't make anyone richer
so knowledge not shared, won't make anyone wiser.

... and no, I'm not working for DELL