Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎06-14-2010 by
Modified ‎04-04-2014 by
(117,372 Views)

Audio combo jack vs headphone/earphone with mic and speaker connector

Question

63i6EDB91E36AC72128

I see the audio combo jack in my T510 (identified as number 6 in the image above), but I've used a regular headphone in it without plugging in the mic connector.

How do I hook up a regular microphone - does the port "know" the difference between 2- or 3-conductor microphone plug and a stereo headphone plug?

How do I use a headset with separate mic and speaker connections?  Is there an adapter I need?

Answer

This integrated headphone / microphone port uses a 4 section plug (identified with 3 black / colored rings).

You can plug a standard headphone in, and it should work by itself as noted.  A spliter cable may be required to support a stand alone microphone properly.

There are 2 solutions to make full use of the port:

1. Obtain a  headset / microphone with combo jack or
  2. Purchase a "Y"  adapter that can connect your current headphone with separate mic and speaker back to the system audio combo jack.

Here is an example of the adapter / splitter listed on Amazon.   There are a number of companies that make competitive versions of this priced between $10 and $15 .

The good thing about the combo jack is that it works with the hundreds of 3.5mm phone headsets which a lot of people already carry. There is a wide range of these splitters available on the market, spanning a range of price and quality points. (newer Blackberry, iPhone, etc. headsets).

See comments below this article for additional customer tried / recommended splitters, or check the "Related Links" to the article to view the related forum discussions on this topic.

Comments
by mis-dept on ‎10-19-2011 11:54 AM

I found the following compatible headsets, today. The GE VoIP All-in-One Foldable Headset (Model: 95432) and the GE VoIP All-in-One Headset (Model: 98974). I just ordered the foldable one. Hopefully, they're of good quality.

by dickcombo on ‎01-26-2012 07:21 AM
combo jack its the most stupid idea what was discover very hard found headphones with combo jack and i dont like small headphones from phone :/
by conlapuertaroja on ‎02-01-2012 10:27 PM

i bought this splitter for the combo jack, and while it'll output sound via the headphone side (from iTunes, e.g.), my thinkpad (t420) won't recognize any input from the microphone side (from an actual microphone). it defaults to the built-in mic and won't give me any other options. any ideas on how i can activate the microphone part of the combo jack? thanks!

by Ernie_Samuels ‎03-23-2012 01:13 PM - edited ‎03-23-2012 01:14 PM

conlapuertaroja, you could get the 'wiretap' from www.esdevices.com, it  preserves the combo jack on one side, so you can just use your phone headset or lapel mic

by wwendt on ‎09-13-2012 08:28 AM

http://shop.adaptare.de/public/catalog_xmlxslproductsearch.aspx?qs=14022&art=SetSearch&suid=526&zid=88d79ed2-dd47-439c-b7f9-671d2aa7d1cd

Adapter PC-Headset 2-mal 3,5-mm an iPhone + Galaxy SII

I use it with/ ich benutze ihn mit  Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 530 - cheap and works both ways/Preiswert und funktioniert in beiden Richtungen.

Steckerbelegung/Pin assignment:  L / R / GND / MIC

by daimonding on ‎09-11-2013 02:30 AM

<p>i bought a headphone from this site: www.drebeatshome.com, i feel very wonderful, just like headphone/earphone with mic.</p>