Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
brindis

Audio mixer

Hello, I am using a Lenovo T420 with Windows 7 and I want to record the audio sound, this is possible in other PCs by enabling the audio mixer as input device for recording.

But with my T420 I cannot enable the mixer output, even when I am enabling hidden devices. Steps are:

- Control Panel -> Hardware and sounds ->Manage audio devices

- select tab Recording

- right click on blank area and check "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices"

But only the internal microphone is shown.

Does this mean that the T420 does not suppor other recording input than the microphone, even loopback is not allowed?

Is that a driver problem?

Is there any other way to record the mixer output?

Thanks,

/jorge

RMattoo
Topics: 3
Kudos: 94
Solutions: 91

Re: Audio mixer

Hi

Perform the task mentioned below to set Microphone as default device and then enable it.

1. Go to Start and click on control Panel.
2. Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.
3. In the new windows click on the tab "Recording” and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.
4. Now check if the microphone is listed there and highlight the microphone and click on "Set as Default" device.

5. Now right click on it and choose enable.

Doing this will enable the built-in Microphone.

Check if the issue persists  now.

I hope this helps

WWAN
mixz1

[ Edited ]

@rmatoo: I think you misread the original post. The OP is not asking about enabling his microphonel He wants to record line audio, a feature that's been removed from ThinkPads for years. The original threads concerning this issue constituted two of the longest discussions on both of the primary ThinkPad forums. The issue goes back as far as 2007 and the release of the T6x series of ThinkPads. While other manufacturers disabled the feature in software and then published new drivers enabling the feature, Lenovo crippled the feature in hardware and has not re-enabled it.

A work-around for this is to install software that provides a virtual audio connection. One such is Virtual Audio Cable. I won't post the actual link here, but a simple Google search on the term "Virtual Audio Cable" will bring the OP to the correct page.from which the software can be purchased. This will enable recording the mixer output and loopback. That said, the lack of a proper line-in connection opens up yet another can of worms.

T520 4239-CTO
T61/p 6459-CTO (Gone but not forgotten)
A31/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
A30/p XP Pro 1 gig memory
TP600 Win 2K 288 mb memory
701C Win 98 Don't ask
What's DOS?
brindis

Thanks mixz1!

Pity... I will try to find some free utility like Virtual Audio Cable... I do not want to pay for something that has been standard for years. If I cannot find something so I will give VAC a try.

/jorge