Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
amg56
Accepted Solution

BIOS Flash Utility Fails with "BIOS directory cannot be found"

I download the 32-bit BIOS update 6fuj35us.exe and ran through the ThinkPad BIOS Update Utility Setup Wizard. After I click Finish I accept the option to update my BIOS. It fails to start the flashing process, with the error popup: "BIOS directory cannot be found. The utility process cannot be completed."  I tried the ISO image too, it burned and booted up correctly, but I got the exact same error message when I tried to run the flash.

Has anyone been able to get over this issue? 

Thank you

Paper Tape
amg56

Re: BIOS Flash Utility Fails with "BIOS directory cannot be found"

I'm going to bump this up.  My T500 was shipped with an old BIOS, and I really need to update it because 3.11 resolves several nasty issues.

Retired Guru
fmyhr

Hi amg56,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum! :smileyhappy:

The problem you're having updating your T500's BIOS is a strange one. I found only one other thread mentioning the error message you reported. One of the members resolved the problem by having his system board replaced. I'd like to think that's not necessary. Let's try to gather some information about your system:

Could you please post your machine's model type number (7 digits XXXX-YYY from label on bottom), and which BIOS it's currently running (listed in the BIOS Setup screen when you press F1 at boot.)?

Thanks,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Paper Tape
amg56

The machine type is 2081-CTO and the BIOS is Version/Date LENOVO 7UET66WW (2.16 ), 4/22/2009.  The machine was purchased in October, the BIOS was old at that point.

Thank you.

Paper Tape
amg56

I'm going to bump this for Lenovo to pick up on this problem.  The machine needs the new BIOS, as it is the motherboard occasionally fails to initialize and boot.

Paper Tape
needatech

I just encountered the same problem.  I started the thread titled, "I can't get 1600x900 resolution on my external monitor with my new T400" and I'm now trying the new BIOS update file "6huj07us" to fix the screen resolution issue.  The file downloaded and extracted fine but I got the message, "BIOS directory cannot be found. The utility process cannot be completed." after running the utility.

My machine type is: 7417-A39 (Lenovo T400 bought June 2009).  Any suggestions on what to do now?

Thanks.

Paper Tape
amg56

I had to send my machine back for a motherboard replacement.  Fortunately, they turned it around quickly, two days, as quickly as the shipping allows.

Retired Guru
fmyhr

@amg56:

Glad you got your ThinkPad fixed. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for letting know how it turned out.

@needatech:

The latest BIOS for your machine is:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70351

That's the Bootable CD, which is the method I'd recommend for updating BIOS.

Does this one work for you?

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy: