Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
newc0mer
Accepted Solution

BIOS is readonly

hi!

I own a t420s. I've set a bios and harddisk password and to boot from local hd only. Additionally I put in a larger ssd from intel 500-series.

Nothing else has changed.

No idea why, but if I press F1 at boot to enter the BIOS I am automatically in a "read only" mode. How to unlock this mode?

Help is highly appreciated!

thanks,

newc0mer

Broadband 3G
JDay

Re: BIOS is readonly

You probably set a user and adminstrator password. You need to use the administrator password to modify settings.

Paper Tape
newc0mer

hi! I absolutely agree with you - but where do I have to enter the password? As I enter the bios, i am never asked for it..

Broadband 3G
JDay

newc0mer wrote:

hi! I absolutely agree with you - but where do I have to enter the password? As I enter the bios, i am never asked for it..

You're still under warranty correct? I'd contact support.

andyP
Topics: 164
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

newc0mer, welcome to the forum,

in oder to enter the supervisor (administrator) password you need to press F1 at boot from a cold start, machine switched off. When you see the BIOS splash screen press F1, when the password prompt appears enter the supervisor password which you set. The prompt symbol will be the same as the power on password symbol, but you need to enter the supervisor password, after that the pop password if it's different to the svp password.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
newc0mer

hi!

thank you for your  input. You made me rememer that there is a difference between the supervisor and harddisk password. Which isnt trivial in this situation. Let me explain my problem. I have a password A (supervisor) and a password B (harddisk). After a cold boot the bios asks for password A. but i have only entered password B. Instead of rejecting it, the password was accepted - and transfered to the harddisk password mechanism. As it was the correct password, the notebook booted successfully. This really irritated me. If i would have failed while entering password B for the supervisor password I would have remembered the different passwords...

andyP
Topics: 164
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Glad everything OK and you have again full access to your BIOS. :smileyhappy: 

Whatever you do, don't forget that supervisor password because we can't help you there and it'll cost you a new mainboard, :smileysurprised:

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog