Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
leelu11mb
Accepted Solution

Battery failure a week after updating to Windows 7

Hi,

About a week ago I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 on my T400. I did a completely clean reinstall with a new hard drive and then downloaded all the drivers.

Befrore switching to Windows 7 my 9 cell battery had no problems at all and lasted 4 hours easily.

The first time I ran the computer on Windows 7 everything was going fine and I Think Pad Power Manager said I had 35% battery and an hour left on it. Then, it suddenly turned itself off. I turned it back on and Power Manager then said I had 3% battery  and 6 minutes. I plugged it in and it charged fully. However it did the same thing several more times. I checked that battery tab and it said the battery condition was "Good."

Then, last night, I was working on some work stuff. The Power Manager said I had 45% battery left. Suddenly the computer turned off and would not turn back on. I plugged it in and the battery icon on the front started blinking orange on and off. The computer turned back on, but now it says "The battery has failed due to normal wear. The battery cannot be charged. Replace the battery." The battery will not charge and I cannot run the comptuer unless it is plugged in. The cycle count currently is 443 and it says the condition is "Poor."

So here is my question: Did this happen because of Windows 7? I realize I have to in all likelihood get a new battery, but the battery was fine and never did anything like this when I was running Vista. It was working well and lasted a good 4 hours before needing to be plugged in. It was in great condition until I switched to Windows 7. I do not want to pay a bunch of money for a new battery just to install it and have the same thing happen. Is there something I need to install with Windows 7 that I somehow missed? Is there a way I can figure that out before I put a new battery in and risk the same thing happening?

Thank you!

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Battery failure a week after updating to Windows 7

Hello and welcome,

No way to know for sure, but I have to vote for coincidence.  That's a lot of cycles on the battery, and maybe it was just due to go.

Based on the first part of your description, I would have suggested a battery reset, but that would probably have triggered the total shutdown that you've seen.  These batteries have internal protective logic, and once they think that battery is unusable or unsafe to charge it's game over.

To back up my guess that it's just an unfortunate coincidence, I have a T400 that I switched from Vista to Win 7 and the 3+ year old battery didn't change status.  (Apart from some issues with the switchable graphics driver causing somewhat increased power consumption - fixed at last...)

Good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Guru
ColonelONeill

Were all of the proper drivers installed?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

leelu11mb wrote:

The cycle count currently is 443 and it says the condition is "Poor."

That's a quite remarkable cycle count for LiON battery, you are extremely fortunate that it has lasted this long.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
leelu11mb

Yes, all the drivers were installed to my knowledge.

I just re-downloaded all the Think Pad Power ones just in case.

Okay, so get a new battery and I should be fine then?

Thank you for all your responses! I appreciate it!

Paper Tape
leelu11mb

Well, the cycles were much much better before it decided to fail. Unfortunately I did not write down that number last week and don't remember off the top of my head.

Is it normal for a battery to go from functioning well and the status being "good" to completely dying and the status being "poor."

I just ordered my new battery. I am hoping it was a coincidence and the same thing does not happen with the new one!

802.11n
stealthth

Yes, it is very possible for a battery to fail with that many cycles. Batteries are very sensitive and if the system detected even the smallest fault it can shut down the battery completely from use. You should give your battery some props, 400+ cycles is above average. Most laptop lithium ions are rated for around 300 charge cycles. Do not worry with your new battery, if you bought it from Lenovo it will come with a new one year warranty.