Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
prakycool
Accepted Solution

Biggest disappointment ever

I bought this Lenovo Thinkpad T410 laptop 2 weeks ago and I am totally disappointed with this purchase. It is biggest piece of junk I ever spent my money on. I would never recommend Thinkpad for following reasons:

1. Processing speed sucks - I had an acer and a hp before. Both were less than $500 less, and had core 2 duo processors. HP IS atleast 1.5 times faster and acer was slightly faster than this Thinkpad with i5 560 M processor. What a shame.

2. Wireless is a digrace - I added Intel centrino 6200 instead of default thinkpad bgn, for better wireless coverage and faster speed when I am on my WLAN with 30Mbps plan and 2 users. I am so much disappointed by the performance. This laptop is atleast 2 times slower than the HP I mentioned before and even acer was faster than this. If I move my laptop even 6 inch, the signal drops for few seconds and then regain again. I am so surprised, how can this be called a Business Laptop.

3. Sceen is difficult to clean. While presentation, I touched the screen to show designs and the strain is still there, even after using cleansing lotions and dry cloth. 

4. CD/DVD writer is awfully loud - It is embarrasing, when you write a CD/DVD in front of clients or peers. It is so loud, that it disturbs everybody in the nearby cubicles.

5. Speakers are useless - Unfortunately, I realized it the harder way. While another client presentation, I had to show them product's you tube campaign and the speakers were not good enough to be heard by clients sitting 15-25 feets away. The same video was far better on my friends Dell Inspiron laptop. 

There are more small things which will vex you and bug you to your life. But for justice sake, here are some good features:

1. Fast boot time when woke up from sleep mode. Within few secs it come up and you can continue working.

2. Okayish battery performance - Upto the product line standard. Consumes very little energy in sleep mode and good power saver strategies.

3. Nice Keyboard Layout - Good to type but do not like Fn key in place of Cntrl key. That change is stupid and unnecessary.

4. Light in weight - I carry it a lot and its weight is of special importance to me and many other back packers or travellers.

All in all I would NEVER recommend it to Business People, Developers, Designers, students or ANY BODY for that matter. I spend more than a grand on this piece of s*** and I am totally pissed. My HP sucked with the battery and system heat but was atleast a good performer and smooth machine if put on a dock, this piece of s*** is junk and of no use.

This is about T410, I dont know about W series or X series. W series could be better than this. I wish if i could replace it with W510, but dont think so.

802.11n
TheDude

Re: Biggest disappointment ever

Please don't eat me said the first goat, my brother is coming and he is much bigger and will provide a better lunch.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Guru
ColonelONeill

Hopefully we can sort some of these problems out. :smileytongue:

1. The i5-560M is a plenty fast CPU. By what metric are you claiming the HP and Acer to be faster?

2. Try updating your drivers with ThinkVantage System Update. Also, check if your wireless performance is set to Max Performance in Power Manager.

3. Use a damp cloth; fingerprints wipe right off. A dry cloth tends to smear it around.

4. Power Manager lets you set the performance/noise level ratio for the optical drive. I have mine set to Silent, but I never use it anyway.

5. Speakers tend to suck on ThinkPads, but with something like SRS HD Audio Labs, you can boost the perceived volume ('perceived' being the key word). Fortunately, some of the newer 2011 ThinkPads are getting Dolby-certified speakers.

---

1. Resuming from sleep should take about a second. Hibernate takes longer by nature.

2. There are some tricks to improving battery life. Do you have the discrete, integrate, or Optimus model of the T410?

3. The Fn key has always been on the left on ThinkPads (AFAIK). You can toggle it in BIOS, but the keycaps will still read Fn-Ctrl. Some prefer it one way, some prefer it the other.

Hope this helps!

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Blue Screen Again
prakycool

Haha !

Blue Screen Again
prakycool

Thanks O'Neill,

Appreciate your reply and suggestions.

I did updated my system using ThinkVantage.. I do experience slight performance decrease. Most of the updates were related to security and risk / recovery. I do appreciate the suggestion though, since these updates were necessary.

I used screen cleansing wipes and used dry cloth after that. But I am still at loss.

System is silent most of the times. Thats one good thing about this T410, my HP was loud all the time. But when I write CD/DVD, the whole burning process is loud and the system vibrates so much that its difficult to ignore. Speed of writing DVD is super fast though, but I dont know if that is a valid trade-off.

I wasn't expecting much from the Thinkpad speakers. Only quality voice which could be heard in a small meeting room of lets say 15 ft by 15 ft. I knew TP is not an entertainment PC, but when it is tagged as business laptop, I assumed this is a genuine expectation. Dolby certification will bring credibility to the speaker quality, I would support that thought.

I have T410 with integrated graphics model.

I do lot of .NET Development, so I use Cntrl key quite often. Although I got used to of  this new layout pretty quicly, still believe that Contrl key should be at the bottom right corner. Its not a deal breaker thing though.

Guru
ColonelONeill

I was more curious about why the T410 seems to be slower than the HP/Acer. Is it general interface sluggishness? Longer compile times? Slow startup?

Generally, a wet wipe and a dry cloth immediately afterwards should get rid of everything on the screen. Sometimes wiping in a circular motion for a couple of seconds gets rid of some of the nastier imprints.

My point about the optical drive was that you can change the noise-to-performance ratio as you like; if you want to burn a disc faster but have the drive spin loudly, you can set it to high performance. Otherwise, you can put it on silent and have it write slower but more quietly. When last my drive played a DVD it was equivalent to system fan noise, but I haven't tried burning a disc with it.

As far as I can tell the speakers (at least in my T400) bottom out at 350Hz. Not much you can really do there.

With battery life, there have been a few programs that I've discovered to affect battery life: Chrome (one of my friends absolutely will not switch and gets 3 hours on a 6-cell discrete T510), Skype, and SRS HD Audio Labs. There may be other ones, so run a "powercfg -energy" and check the energy report that it creates.
Blue Screen Again
prakycool

Pardon me for my incomplete response. Application start-ups (MS Office, Visual Studio, Outlook, and JetBrains (again an IDE for JScript) and MS Visual studio compiling and debugging is slower than HP. (I do not use acer for App dev much). I was almost satisfied with the performance of HP dv2000, the major problems were system used to get over heated, it was difficult to type on it without sour fist and the screen was giving problems. Hence I bought this T410 with expectations of getting even better performance (in terms of app start-up and faster building/debugging of .net applications), silent operations and cleaner display. I am not too disappointed with the display (I liked the width*height ratio and brightness) and am quite happy with the silent performance.

Carson Laptop screen cleaner did the trick for cleaning the screen. Since the display screen is lower than the surface level, the dirt used to get accumulated at the corners, but now it sticks with the cleaner and wipes off. So this problem is solved.

Aha, so I can make it silent. Thanks a lot for this solution. It is not embarrassing now. :smileyhappy:

Any suggestions for enhancing my wi-fi card's capability ? I have intel centrino 6200, but the speed is significantly less than my HP. I am using T410 as my primary laptop and wish if it has faster or atleast same internet speed as my HP. When I added intel 6200, my perception was that since this card has 2 antennas, theoritically, it must have capability to receive twice the number of packets. But apparently I am wrong. Am I missing any tweak ? I do not care much about the power if I am plugged in, if there is any setting I could put.

I ran powercfg - energy and there were some really good suggestion to maximize battery performance, like:

Power Policy:smileytongue:CI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In)

Power Policy:Minimum processor performance state is 100% (On Battery)

and there were some 8 more errors because I have set my system to maximum performance and have disabled some USB devices to go to sleep mode. But I did them. I am quite impressed with the power management module of ThinkVantage and due to enhanced experience program with Win7, I think power management is one of the strength of ThinkPad.

Is there any way I could put my system in boosted mode for sometime (esp. when I am writing programs or testing applications) ?

I believe the valuable information you gave in this thread should be read by prospective or current TP users. My apologies for putting it under such outrageous heading. I was quite disappointed. I am sorry for that.

Guru
ColonelONeill

With respect to application startups (I presume you have a platter drive), you can run a defrag pass. Windows will try do so automatically every Wednesday at 1AM, but it's sometimes necessary to run it manually. I personally use UltimateDefrag, but MyDefrag is free and isn't bad at all. Experiment with defragmenters and it should bring up the disk performance. In my experience, Windows takes a week or two to adapt to your usage patterns (defrag placement and prefetcher). I have a feeling the slow compiles are due to a fragmented disk or poorly placed files. Is the HDD often busy while compiling?

As for wifi, launch Power Manager, hit Advanced, expand the Advanced Settings entry and look for the Wireless Adapter settings. Set the Power Saving mode to "Maximum Performance" on the right column (AC power). It should help a bit.

For the CPU, in Power Manager under System Settings, set Maximum CPU speed to Adaptive for both entries, which works the best IMO (sometimes setting lowest on battery helps with battery life). You can monitor the i5-560M's turbo boost using the Intel Turbo Boost gadget for Windows 7; you should see it turboing fairly quickly.
Blue Screen Again
prakycool

I will try those.. Thanks, I greatly appreciate your help.
Punch Card
LoneWolf

You know, asking for help seems like it was a great alternative to immediately claiming your ThinkPad was a huge disappointment, eh? :smileywink:

P.S.  There's a bunch of folks trying to give you help over at NotebookReview, though they haven't seen you since your first post stating your disappointment.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/563439-hate-my-new-thinkpad-t410-3.html

TP T420, i5-2520M, 8GB, 80GB mSATA+500GB HDD
HD+ with webcam and Optimus, Intel 6300 wifi, BT 3.0
Windows 7 x64 Enterprise SP1

Previous owner, T61, T400