Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
mBurch

Can I set the Fan manually..?

I use BOINC and because of that my Thinkpad T410 crashes quite often!
(Although I let BOINC only use one core!) Can I somehow set the fan manually to the maximum and set it back to normal when I stop BOINC?

Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: Can I set the Fan manually..?

Look at http://tpfancontrol.com

Additional try reducing cpu power and -speed in the power manager

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Serial Port
mBurch

Thx Mornsgrans

One last question: TPFC indicates that my CPU is 84 Grad Celsius right now, is that way too hot for my CPU? What's a healthy area for my CPU..?

Guru
ExJamJus

84c is fine. Why do you need the TPF to spin the fan up? The sensor would automatically spin the fan up if it detects heats.

Using TPF to push the fan to max speed all the time might kill the fan in the long run.
*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Punch Card
calkenneth

I would say 84C is on the higher end of the spectrum -- but can be normal if you are running at extreme high load. Idle should be around 40-50 C. If you are at 84C while idle, there could be a problem with the way the thermal paste was applied on your processor (resulting in poor contact between the heatsink and the CPU).
Guru
ExJamJus

@calkenneth,

Hey .... didn't know you are hanging out here ... =D

I don't think mBurch's laptop is idle temp on 84c, if it is ... then do get in contact with support to get the laptop sent in.

Seems that mBurch is running BOINC and I did a quick search and found out that BOINC is a program which you volunteer your CPU power for research purposes. Sounds interesting ...

I guess the BOINC is taking quite a lot of processing power from the CPU causing heat.

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Punch Card
calkenneth

:-)

I don't work in IT, but I do miss the technical community sometimes, and that's why I hang out and try to contribute.

Yeah, those kind of programs are usually very processor intensive and will cause processors with insufficient cooling to fail.

However, at 84C the computer shouldn't have crashed. It hadn't even hit the max temperature yet (at which point the CPU would send itself a signal to throttle down).
Token Ring
Kicker774

84C is on the higher end if the prcessor is running at 100%

These units will automatically shut down at 100C

As mentioned TP Fan Control works good for monitoring temps and manually controling the fan speed

Serial Port
mBurch

...I don't think mBurch's laptop is idle temp on 84c, if it is ... then do get in contact with support to get the laptop sent in.

Seems that mBurch is running BOINC and I did a quick search and found out that BOINC is a program which you volunteer your CPU power for research purposes. Sounds interesting...

Mister ExJamJus is right. And yes it is interesting and very sincere (or how you call that in English?) to participate :smileyhappy: You just have to be careful that you don't ruin your Thinkpad...

Thx for all your help!

Guru
ExJamJus

@mBurch,

Just a suggestion ... since you leave the BOINC on when the laptop is idle, do elevate the laptop since the software is constantly running the proc up. By elevating the laptop you enable more air to get "pulled" into the base of the laptop thus better ventilation = cooler and happier laptop when you volunteer.

Juz my 2 cents =)
*Non Lenovo employee*