Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Galoot

Re: Can depot repair fix T410 fan noise issue?

lead_org:  The max speed of the fan (TPFanControl on 7) is 4400 RPM.  So the fan is not quite maxed out, but it is definitely reving high for idle.  I sent it in to depot, so we'll see what they say...

Serial Port
Galoot

BenVis:  This definitely a fan noise and not the CPU or hard disk.  I used TPFanControl to verify that.  The changes in fan speed correlated directly to the sound I was hearing.

The T410 has a different fan blade design than even the T400.  My T60 makes a noise like you describe, but this T410 fan makes a high pitched sound.

Mark

Serial Port
Galoot

I got the machine back from depot repair.  It was dirty.  My stickers from my previous depot repair had turned gooey and difficult to remove.  I finally got everything clean after some scrubbing with soap and water.  (Water alone would not do it.)

Depot technician replaced the fan.  Same behavior.  Right this minute my machine is idle other than this window and TPFanControl says my CPU is 42C and the fan is spinning at 3597 RPM.  As long as the machine is awake, the fan is on.

If I go to Power Manager and set Optimize Fan Control to "Reduce noise dramatically," then the fan slows down, the machine heats up, and then the fan comes on again at 3600 RPM.  That cools it down, the fan slows down, and the cycle continues indefinitely. 

Support offered a third depot repair, but I've concluded the machine was just poorly designed and there's not much they can do.  My ThinkPad loyalty has waned significantly. 

If you care about fan noise, don't buy a T410.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

I would escalate the issue though. Fan shouldn't spin that fast at 42 degrees. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Serial Port
Patryk

This issue is quite common with t410 and t410s - I've the same problem with brand new t410s ... but another one I've (same specs) is dead silent (without TPFancontrol) and cool - hmmm go figure what is going on. For details please read my posts here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T410s-fan/td-p/220436/page/2

I think Lenovo should escalate (or whatever - just fix it) on that issue because it's compromising the quality and major feature we pay premium for our thinkpads. You loose credibility only once - if nothing change it soon be just expensive Chinese piece of s...t (sorry for harsh words - but this is 2000EUR machine we are talking about and I'm loosing my temper failing to solve this problem). Why Lenovo cannot just implement TPFancontrol to Power Manager 4.0?

It's ridiculous that in order to control obviously excessive fan speed I'm using freeware!! For what I've paid so much for lenovo notebook?

I'm constantly tracking thinkpad related forums and I can say that quality is failing (according to users response).

I hope Lenovo Thinkpads can be as good as IBM Thinkpads used to be.

PS. Using TPFancontrol (with my custom temp settings) my t410s stays cool and quiet. The second t410s I own DON"T need TPFancontrol and stays cool&quiet by default.

Serial Port
Galoot

lead_org wrote:

How do I escalate the issue?  Call support and ask for a manager? 

The machine has already been to depot repair twice.  The second time  I had a "RAID" case.  The second time I included a note that described the problem in detail and included my cell phone number and said if they can't reproduce it, they should call me.

I know you don't work for Lenovo, but do you have any suggestions on how I could ask someone at Lenovo if the laptop is supposed to behave this way?

Thanks for your help.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

Galoot wrote:

lead_org wrote:

How do I escalate the issue?  Call support and ask for a manager? 

The machine has already been to depot repair twice.  The second time  I had a "RAID" case.  The second time I included a note that described the problem in detail and included my cell phone number and said if they can't reproduce it, they should call me.

I know you don't work for Lenovo, but do you have any suggestions on how I could ask someone at Lenovo if the laptop is supposed to behave this way?

Thanks for your help.

call Lenovo support and ask for a review by customer satisfaction officer to provide assistance on the case. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Serial Port
Galoot

Thanks for your help lead_org.  I escalated the case and eventually shipped the machine to second level support.  They determined there was no hardware issue and believe that I'm hearing the CPU and not the fan.  I know that's wrong because I can turn the fan off with TPFanControl and the noise disappears.

Anyway, for anybody out there complaining about fan noise on the T410, don't bother sending it to Lenovo.  I sent my machine off a total of 3 times (twice to depot and once to 2nd level support) and nothing changed. 

If on the very first support call they had just said, "Yep, the fan on the T410 never turns off," then I could have saved everybody a lot of time and money.

My theory is that there this is a bios issue that never turns the fan off if the temperature drops.

Machine model is 2516-CTO.

Punch Card
rsannie

[ Edited ]

My CPU fan runs at 4400RPM with discrete gfx on... and I [installed] TPFanControl to verify that.

After spending time tweaking the Power Manager and monitoring the heat, I realized that the fan is supposed to run at that speed.  There's a very noticeable temperature difference when the TPFanControl manages the fan speed and when the BIOS does.  So I uninstalled TPFanControl.

My fan now slows down when using intel gfx card, and the fan even turns off when not plugged in at times while keeping my system cool.

Serial Port
Patryk

rsannie wrote:

My CPU fan runs at 4400RPM with discrete gfx on... and I [installed] TPFanControl to verify that.

After spending time tweaking the Power Manager and monitoring the heat, I realized that the fan is supposed to run at that speed.  There's a very noticeable temperature difference when the TPFanControl manages the fan speed and when the BIOS does.  So I uninstalled TPFanControl.

My fan now slows down when using intel gfx card, and the fan even turns off when not plugged in at times while keeping my system cool.

rsannie - have you tried to modify default temp and fan thresholds? TPFanControl needs to be customized (via editing ini file). By default settings are for T4x series.

It must be something wrong with BIOS when to identical machines (I have two T410s) behave completely different - one is managing fan (turning it on and off, changing speed etc.) and the second one is stuck at 4000 rpm.