Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
freemama
Accepted Solution

Caps lock indicator remains on screen at all times

One of my clients has a T410 with Windows 7 64-bit installed.  When he turns on his caps lock, the indicator lights up and the same indicator appears on the screen and then stays present until the caps lock is turned off.  When caps lock is turned off the indicator disappears in about 3 seconds.  My other T410s are not experiencing this issue.  What can we do to change the indicator so that it only appears on-screen for 3 seconds?  I appreciate your help.

Punch Card
freemama

Re: Caps lock indicator remains on screen at all times

I have checked with my clients who report this.  Both laptops are model 2522-2BU and it happens whether they use the laptop keyboard or an external keyboard.

Paper Tape
marobertson

I, too, am experiencing the same issue. I have this on the T410 and the W510.

I have tried disabling BTTray.exe.

-

I have tried modifying the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Widcomm\BTConfig\General\KeyIndication

Change it from 1 to 0. Reboot.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/compal/106738-caps-lock-off-screen-display.html

-

I have tired disabling On Screen Display

-

I have tried looking in the Control Panel and in the Keyboard options, but No Luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks!

MR

Paper Tape
Cindyg

I'd like to bump this and ask if anyone else has any advice.  I have a brand new Thinkpad X100e.  If you touch Caps Lock, the caps lock symbol shows up in the bottom right corner of the screen.  It's black with a white A in it, and it's fairly large, given how small my screen is!  When you turn off caps lock, the symbol gets a slash through it, but it doesn't go away.

We edited the registry as suggested in the previous post.  That did eliminate the words "Caps Lock:  On" (or off); but it didn't eliminate the large icon. 

Any suggestions?  (Actually, I would just as soon have the words back if I could get rid of the large icon.)

Many thanks.

Cindy

Paper Tape
Jack98110

[ Edited ]

The 'permanent' Caps Lock indicator just showed up on my X100e today.  Rebooting didn't help.  Then I started the Task Manager and noticed TpNumLkD running so I decided to kill it and the on-screen display disappeared so it seems that this Num Lock program is involved.  I then found TpNumLkD in \Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY so I ran it; now the on-screen display appears to be working normally.  When I hit Caps Lock the indicator comes on (but without the CAPS LOCK ON works) and stays until I hit Caps Lock again and the icon appears with a slash through it for a few seconds and then disappears.

I just tested this through a reboot and the original problem still exists.  Stopping and restarting TpNumLkD.exe fixed it, again -- until the next reboot!  It would be nice to know why this started and how to implement a permanent fix since it appears to be timing dependent.

TpNumLkD.exe is Version 1.11

Jack

Paper Tape
papo08

[ Edited ]

control panel, display, settings, advanced, on screen display.  chk enable on screen display.  chk both options for "show indicator for a few seconds" 

done deal

Cleo edited: The same information can be found in community knowledgebase or Hints and Tips from Lenovo Support site.

What's DOS?
CaliberTax

omg, papo, THANK YOU!  The caps lock notification was driving me nuts!  

Paper Tape
Jack98110

I went to Display Settings and found the On Screen Indicator settings and they were correct (Indicator On while Caps Lock On and On for 3 seconds when Caps Lock was off) but I changed it to display for 3 seconds for both settings to see if that fixed it.

Partially, the indicator comes on for 3 seconds whenever Caps Lock is hit -- BUT it displays the opposite of what the setting actually is.  At least I know that if the indicator says Caps Lock is off I know it's on!  ;-)  But it's an improvement over it being on and wrong all the time.

I have an X100e running Windows 7 and for the first 3 or 4 months it always worked perfectly and only went astray a few weeks ago.

Jack

Paper Tape
Jack98110

After the changes noted above I again deleted the TpNumLkD.Exe process and then re-initieted it and the Caps Lock indicator is back in sync with the actual setting.

Must be some kind of timing issue when the code is initially loaded???

Jack

Paper Tape
alejozilva

To re-initialize go to: Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY and double clic on tpnumlkd.exe