Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
unit88888888

Difference between the Q partition recoverable Boot and the Rescue and Recovery??

Hi,

What is the difference between the two?? Sorry if this is a stupid question lol Can I still back up from previous state using rescue and recovery if i do not have the Q partition?? b/c i do not think I will ever bring this laptop to the factory state again.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Difference between the Q partition recoverable Boot and the Rescue and Recovery??

The Q partition is where lenovo puts the files needed to build the factory recovery DVDs.  You cannot actually boot to this partition, and this partition has nothing to do with rescue & recovery.  You can safely delete the Q partition if you have already built the recovery DVDs or if you're sure that you won't ever need them in the future.  Obviously lenovo encourages you to build the recovery DVDs just in case, you never know when you might need them in the future!

Paper Tape
omergrigg

Re: Difference between the Q partition recoverable Boot and the Rescue and Recovery??

[ Edited ]

Hello, I have a question regarding the Q partition:

Is it possible to do a recovery straight from Q, or do I have to build the recovery DVDs from it?

Can I create recovery media on an external disk (USB), instead of DVDs?

After building the recovery DVDs, how can I delete Q and reassign the disk space to C or D partition?

I have Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks!

Token Ring
gwf12

omergrigg wrote:

Hello, I have a question regarding the Q partition:

Is it possible to do a recovery straight from Q, or do I have to build the recovery DVDs from it?

Can I create recovery media on an external disk (USB), instead of DVDs?

After building the recovery DVDs, how can I delete Q and reassign the disk space to C or D partition?

I have Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks!

1. Yes. Boot into Rescue and Recovery in the pre-boot environment (using the blue button), and when you choose "Factory restore", it will find your Q partition and the system image on it.

2. Yes, USB is supported in the more recent versions, there are some caveats in making a USB stick bootable.

3. Yes, in fact when you make recovery media, R&R will ask if you want to delete Q, say yes and space goes back to your C: partition. Of course, you can do it yourself, Windows 7 fully supports partition management (deletion, extention) in Disk Management.

Broadband 3G
JDay

someotherguy wrote:

The Q partition is where lenovo puts the files needed to build the factory recovery DVDs.  You cannot actually boot to this partition, and this partition has nothing to do with rescue & recovery.  You can safely delete the Q partition if you have already built the recovery DVDs or if you're sure that you won't ever need them in the future.  Obviously lenovo encourages you to build the recovery DVDs just in case, you never know when you might need them in the future!

Rescue and recovery uses the .WIM images stored on the Q partition to restore your system. Removing this partition will render your ThinkVantage button useless. The .WIM files are standard Windows IMage files that you can use ImageX to restore.

Token Ring
gwf12

JDay wrote:

someotherguy wrote:

Rescue and recovery uses the .WIM images stored on the Q partition to restore your system. Removing this partition will render your ThinkVantage button useless. The .WIM files are standard Windows IMage files that you can use ImageX to restore.

Not correct. ThinkVantage button boots into the pre-boot partition that has a separate copy of R&R (called R&R workspace or something like this). Having the Q partition has nothing to do with the pre-boot partition (two separate things.) Once in the pre-boot R&R, you can restore from the Q partition, or another location where you have backups or factory restore media (2nd HD, USB disk, optical, network share...)

Serial Port
unit88888888

Well I have already merged the Q partition with the C partition because i needed the extra storage space. Also, I made a image of my current system on a external HDD using the Rescue and Recovery function of the lenovo preinstalled software. Does this mean if my laptop crashes or suffers from a serious software issue such as infection or other error i can just use the blue button of the thinkvantage and insert the external hdd using usb and then recover my laptop to the state which i managed to save on my external hdd using the rescue and recovery feature? in case of any confusion, I am not referring to setting back to factory default.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

What you did is fine.  You'll be able to use your external HDD to restore your backup in case your internal HDD crashes.  You don't need the Q drive for that.  The only function you lose by deleting Q drive is the ability to build factory image.

One tip:  make sure your external HDD is bootable by pressing F12 at Lenovo BIOS screen and choosing the USB HDD.  If it's not bootable, then use the "create rescue media" function of Rescue & Recovery to make it bootable.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

someotherguy wrote:

One tip:  make sure your external HDD is bootable by pressing F12 at Lenovo BIOS screen and choosing the USB HDD.  If it's not bootable, then use the "create rescue media" function of Rescue & Recovery to make it bootable.

If you do this, look very carefully for a check box that says something like "preserve existing data" or your drive will be formatted before being made bootable.  You backup will be lost.  You can always make another one, but sure as bread falls butter-side down, your HD will fail between formatting and the next backup...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество