Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
LittleBear

DisplayPort on T400s to HDMI on HDTV

Hi there,

I just want to connect DisplayPort on my T400s to HDMI port on HDTV. I am thinking about the following two methods but I am not so sure if either of them works out:

1) Using a Displayport-to-HDMI converter (like this one http://www.startech.com/item/DP2HDMI-DisplayPort-to-HDMI-Cable-Adapter-Converter.aspx) and a HDMI/male-HDMI/male cable.

2) Directly using a DisplayPort/male-HDMI/male cable (like this one  http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024607&p_id=6013&seq=1&for...)

Do you think they both work?

By the way, I am fully aware that by using the above connection, if it works, there is only video but audio. In order to get the audio, can I use this cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=645&seq=1&form... or this one http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5600&seq=1&for... to get the analog sound from my laptop to HDTV.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Retired Guru
fmyhr

Re: DisplayPort on T400s to HDMI on HDTV

Hi LittleBear,

Either of the video cables (1) or (2) will work. In general, the fewer connections you have to make, the fewer places for signal quality to be degraded. So I'd prefer (2).

The HDTVs I've seen have dual RCA inputs for analog stereo audio. So the second audio cable you listed, the one that goes from a stereo 3.5mm plug to dual RCA plugs, is the way to go.

Thanks for doing your research and realizing that you need both video and audio cables. :smileyhappy:

Good luck!

-Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Fanfold Paper
LittleBear

Many thanks, fmyhr. I already ordered the cables.

All the best.

Blue Screen Again
arashet

Hi,

I am very happy about my T400s except the audio problem with displayport. I tried so many cables before finding this thread! My question is that even if you use two cables for video and audio (displayport and analog), most TV's do not allow dual source at the same time. I have an LG HDTV (LD 450), with all the necessary ports, but I get to choose either an HDMI input OR an analog input from VGA or RCA. Do you know how to fix this? 

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

get a separate speaker or amplifier, other you would need to get a dvi to hdmi converter box, which is expensive (and you would also need to get a advanced mini dock or usb sound card that support spdif/digital audio out).
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Retired Guru
fmyhr

Hi arashet,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum. Glad that you're (mostly) enjoying your excellent T400s.

LG's 32LD450 support page has links for product specifications and manuals. Unfortunately the link for the English manual isn't working for me at the moment -- maybe you could do the world a favor and complain to LG? :smileyhappy:

Google found a copy of the manual here:

http://newchocolate.lge.com/lgecs.downloadFile.ldwf?DOC_ID=KROWM000255278&ORIGINAL_NAME_b1_a1=SAC341...

From p.19 of the manual, it appears that if you connect video to HDMI/DVI IN 1 and audio to AUDIO IN (RGB/DVI), you should be able to get simultaneous video and audio when selecting the HDMI1 input (manual p.70). The analog audio cable you'll need is the first type that LittleBear pointed to, with 3.5mm stereo headphone jacks on both ends, like this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=645&seq=1&form...

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Blue Screen Again
arashet

[ Edited ]

Thank you Frank. But the TV only can choose one input at a time, either hdmi or VGA. Anyway, I ultimately had to give up on HDMI and go on with the old VGA cable with an extra 3.5 audio cable: pretty ugly looking stuff! I am still wondering why should one of the latest T-series Lenovo models lack such a simple thing as audio output on displayport, while it costs a fortune and  is more expensive than most similar notebooks in the market. Next time I will keep my eyes open when buying a notebook!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

it is not the latest T series, the T410s/T410/W510/T510 all have sound channel in the dp port.

T400s/R500/T500/W500/X200 ultrabase was the first thinkpad to have the dp. The lack of sound in the dp was not only limited to Thinkpads, other competitors machine released in the same time that has dp also lack sound.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Retired Guru
fmyhr

If you:

1. Leave your 3.5mm analog audio cable connected as is;
  2. Connect your T400s DisplayPort to TV HDMI/DVI In 1;
  3. Select HDMI 1 Input on your TV remote

You still get no audio?

---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.