Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
Chris_zuper
Accepted Solution

Extremely slow download speed on T420

Hi Forum,

I really hope you can help me somehow. My download speed on my T420 is extremely low, 500B/s, and from my ISP i have 5/0.6 Mbit. I've tried different browsers, tried to change anit-virus, tried to turn off anti-virus but nothing seem to help. However, this problem only occours on my T420 not on my other laptop or smartphone, where i can reach full speed. Furthermore, at some sites I can actually maintain the correct speed. Simply dont know what is going on, but its a pain in the..

Im using:
T420
Access connections
Wireless G network (situated 5 meters away)

Best regards
Christian

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,229
Solutions: 1,311

Re: Extremely slow download speed on T420

what if you are using the LAN connection?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
802.11n
Ideasmiths

[ Edited ]

In the future you would need to provide more information. I am only guessing here that you are running window 7 (its a T420) and not xp.

There may be 2 scenerio, 1st is that the 500Bp/s is while surfing the web and watching youtube. The 2nd is that the speed is during some bittorrent, if that is the latter, then you may be experiencing some throttling of speed somewhere in the network.

If it is the first, the possible reason is your network devices such as the abg wireless card on the lenovo, followed by drivers/router/switch etc. You can quickly isolate the problem (wireless card) If you have something like an iphone, plug iphone to laptop, turn on tethering on phone, connect it to wireless network. Turn OFF your laptop wireless so that it depends only on the iphone (like a modem) . What's the speed? A good test site is the open office at http://www.openoffice.org try a download

In most cases it is the wireless card, some brand that lenovo fitted just sucks, you may need the other mid range and higher range (n wifi) cards. Also if you scan for wifi, are there other routers nearby besides yours? is your wifi router (5 meter away) giving good signal. If there are multiple routers around, the signal channel may be interfering with each other.

Temporary solution

Download cfospeed at http://www.cfos.de/en/cfosspeed/cfosspeed.htm  This is a software I have used over the years, especially if multiple devices/laptops are sharing the internet. It allows your laptop to have a traffic cop, It is like a Qos (quality of service) program. If this dont solve the problem.

My favourite is to

a) Remove access connection and use the window 7 default

b) update the intel chipset, wireless management software and drivers

Other solutions are

a) Go access solution and change the wireless signal to maximum performance. It normally is preset to maximum battery

b) Go bottom right icon tray, wireless icon and open up "open network and sharing center. click on "change adapter settings' on the left panel->properties and check that all the settings are in place, especially Qos

c) Log into your router admin page and change the signal channel to some random from 1 to 11, other then the default. If 2 of more routers/modem use the default, lets say channel 5, then changing yours to another channel would reduce 'noise' , Also increase the performance by making it generate max performance/signal or similiar settings on router model.

Last but not least, I haven't tried this,....buy some aluminum foil and place it on the lenovo frame to boost up reception. The antanne is along rectangular frame of the laptop screen.

Blue Screen Again
Chris_zuper

Arh sorry, wasn't thinking, of cause you need some information. Here you go.

Lenovo T420, Windows 7 Proff 64 bit
Intel Wifi Link 100 BGN 

Router ZyXel 600-series (running 802.11 g) situated 5 meters away from my laptop (no other wireless networks present)

I've updated the drivers for everything now as you said, and uninstalled the access connections and is now using the built in windows stuff. However, the download/load speed is still the same for most sites/downloads, i.e. youtube is slow downloading, the CFOS is slow, however openoffice is fast same with others, so it seems to be very dependant on the site. However, the overall internet speed seems to be a bit higher, less pages are slow, so that is atleast a start.

I've also tried to connect to the same router using LAN with high speeds as a result, on every page I entered. So that might suggest its the wireless card that might be weird some how..

The "Other Solutions" you mentioned i have not been able to do as i dont know how to do it.. However, I think that it should not make any difference as I have full reception signal.

All in all I know my problem is kinda weird, but atleast it helped a bit changing to windows service. Have other suggestions for what to do now??

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,229
Solutions: 1,311

is there many other g wireless around your area? i.e. other people using the same g bandwidth?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
802.11n
Ideasmiths

It's likely your wireless card, maybe also something screwed up in the networking portion of the operating system.

You can try the usual stuff like downloading the latest wireless drivers, uninstalling, reboot, then reinstalling.

A long way to test that it is not the operating system is

a ) Download virtual PC from microsoft, its free and with window 7 profession and above, you get window xp (legit) free with it. Go bios turn on virtualization and install VPC, it will utilize the wirelss card as though it is another PC living inside your win 7. See if the same symptom occurs

b) Download VMware player (free) and download legit window 7 32bit or 64 bit from official microsoft digital download sites, you get free 30 days trial before the need to activate. Same thing, go bios turn on virtualization, install VMware player, install new window 7 and see if the same sympton occurs.

But my strongest feeling is still a bad wireless card.

BTW, if you move the laptop to another location in the house, is there any improvement? In my office there was this strong interference device (I think it is a spy cam or something on the top ceiling), it creates a dead zone directly underneath it. Maybe at that location in your house you got some blackhole leading to another dimensions or something B-)

What's DOS?
nsisler

Hi,

I'm having essentially the same problem as Christian.  Christian, were you able to resolve the issue?  Did you buy a new wireless card?

Nick

What's DOS?
nsisler

Bit Torrent
tripplec

One of the 1st things I do on any and all of my systems. Whether XP or Win 7.

I TURN OFF - power off to save power on all NIC's & Wireless adapaters. The use no power unless they are truely in use moving data. For Wireless Transmit Power should be MAX. It no wise to allow power manager/saving software to control I/O ports, none of them. This can cause unnecessary grief and even crashes or loss of work when some application cannot recover to a lazy or turned off I/O device.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3