Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
janko10

Faulty Finger Reader on T400?

When I boot my T400 and it's sitting at the logon screen, I get a finger reader pop up box every 1.5 seconds saying 'Too Short!' 'Too Short!' 'Too Short!' over and over and over again but I haven't tried to scan my finger yet.

It's like it's panicing and doesn't know what to do. It usually scans my finger fine when I scan it. I didn't know if this was normal behavior for this.

I looked at the sensor to see if it's dirty and it was picking up a trace smudge or something but it's not. I tried reinstalling the software and drivers too but it hasn't helped.  I tried the Lenovo driver and the newest driver direct from Uptek.  I also installed the Finger Reader registry patch but that didn't help either.  I'm on Vista x64.
Any other suggestions?
Fanfold Paper
janko10

Re: Faulty Finger Reader on T400?

Well just talked to Lenovo.  Have to send it into the depot :smileysad:
Punch Card
george99

No WAIT!!!

I had the EXACT same problem, and I read on a different forum about someone else too.

First, you have a BRAND NEW computer, yu should have to leave it for repair!!

I called Lenovo, and demanded that they either replace the computer, or that they just send me the entire palm rest with the finger print reader in it (they don't have the fingerprint reader seperately).

They agreeed to send me the palm rest.  It is very easy to change yourself.  4 screws total.  Takes 5 minutes.

HOWEVER, before I received it, the defective fingerprint reader suddenly fixed itself and works fine now!  What's even starnger is that the other person that posted about this that I mentioned also had his fingerprint read fix itself too!  Out of nowhere, it just started working correctly.  Go figure.

Either way, you should call Lenovo and demand that they mail your the part instead of sending your new computer out for repair.  The Lenovo support people kept me on for over an hour because they had trouble finding the part number.  Here is is, having it will save you a ton of time on the phone.

44C0649

Fanfold Paper
janko10

Thanks george.

Did you call the warranty support number or the main sales number?

Fanfold Paper
janko10

I found the thread for anyone else that is having problems.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=66842

Punch Card
george99

I think I just called the main number and pushed a few buttons till I got to the right place.
Fanfold Paper
janko10

Thanks.  I just called and this time they said they would send the part out.  So hopefully this one works better.  Mine seems to be freaking out worse so I don't think it's going to self-correct.
Punch Card
george99

The fingerprint reader is different than the one in my T61 and Z61t.  I guess Lenovo tried to save a few bucks with a cheaper one, and look what we got now.
Fanfold Paper
janko10

[ Edited ]

Yeah I noticed that.  At first I tried to install the Upek drivers and then I'm like wait... this isn't a Upek reader.

The Authentec website is worthless.  They don't have any driver info posted at all.

Message Edited by janko10 on 09-05-2008 07:45 AM
Fanfold Paper
janko10

My replacement reader is supposed to come in today, however another guy received his and he said the laptop won't recognize it, possibly because of the security chip on it.

Ugh.