Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
camoh

Fingerprint reader is not compatible with UEFI - Lenovo Tech Support confirms

More information can be found at the original post by S1148625 over at Thinkpads. http://forums.thinkpads.com/~thinkpad/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=95573&start=0

UEFI doesn't support fingerprint readers - yet. (I suppose this is true for all 2011 Thinkpads) I have a T420, replaced the original HDD with an SSD, tried to clone from the HDD to SSD but it didn't work. So I changed BIOS to UEFI only and tried to install windows from the Recovery discs. UEFI refused to see the recovery discs. (Lenovo also confirmed that the recovery discs don't work with UEFI). Finally, I installed Windows Professional 64 bit - a clean install. Installed SP1, Thinkvantage System Update, and installed nearly all of Lenovo's updates. Joined the domain and everything worked just fine. All except the fingerprint reader, which gave three errors, each with the error code E7210005.

I spoke with Lenovo Tech Support today. They confirmed that the current version of UEFI does not support the fingerprint reader. They are working on a fix, but have no release date.

Other than that, my T420 works perfectly. I've spent nearly all of 2 work days trying to make this fingerprint reader work. Knowing that it's beyond my control is actually a relief. During the 50+ restarts in the past 2 days, the T420 always booted in less than 30 seconds. That's including the time it takes to pound out a 12+ character password, arrive at the desktop and have a ready mouse pointer (not a mouse pointer with a spinning blue ring). I'm happy with that. I'll wait for a UEFI update.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Fingerprint reader is not compatible with UEFI - Lenovo Tech Support confirms

Wow, you are really on the cutting edge with UEFI!  Even though the BIOS option exists for UEFI boot, there are still several kinks that need to be worked out, and fingerprint support is just one of them.  We are actively working on these things, and UEFI preloads and recovery disks should be coming later this year.

If you come across other UEFI-specific issues, please let us know here in the forums!

Token Ring
Yangorang

T420s Fingerprint Reader After Clean Install

Same issue everone here is seeing: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=95573

No matter what I do I can't seem to get my fingerprint reader working after a clean install of Windows 7 x64 on UEFI.

If anyone has figured out how to get their fingerpring reader working after a clean install of Windows 7 on a T420s or similar model kindly let me know how the $%@# you have done so.

http://img683.imageshack.us/g/20638169.jpg/

Serial Port
camoh

Re: T420s Fingerprint Reader After Clean Install

Hey Yangorang, you don't happen to know s1148625? You're both from West Lafayette . . . :smileyhappy: His/your post over on Thinkpads was the first/only post that matched my experience and it is what prompted me to call Lenovo Tech Support about this issue. I reported my findings in the post we both referred to (over on Thinkpads) and now I'm waiting until a UEFI update comes out.

@someotherguy, thanks for re-affirming that UEFI is a work in (active) progress. I'll relax and wait until some of those goodies are ready.

camoh

Token Ring
Yangorang

Heh nope have no idea who he is.  My screenname everywhere is Yangorang so heh....

Hopefully Lenovo fixes it soon..to be honest I'm not too happy about this especially because I have been using my fingerprint reader on my EliteBook 8440p with a UEFI installation of Windows 7 for quite a while now....sigh...

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

It is possible to work-around the issue, but some manual steps are needed:

1.  delete "smihlp.sys" from "c:\program files\thinkvantage fingerprint software"

2.  run "services.msc" and stop the service "Windows Biometric Service"

3.  delete the file "031D23AD-15AF-4e25-B7B3-DE34893097ED.DAT" from "c:\Windows\system32\WinBioDatabase"

4.  reboot the computer  (important!!)

5.  now try to enroll some fingers

This should make it possible to enroll fingerprint and use it to log into Windows, until the bug can be fixed in some future version of BIOS and/or Fingerprint software.

Token Ring
Yangorang

[ Edited ]

Thank you - I was not aware there was a work-around to this issue.  I'll be sure to give this a try once I get back home.

EDIT:

I have no idea exaclty what deleting those files did, but my fingerprint reader is working perfectly now...thanks a bunch!

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Power consumption of Fingerprint Reader power on feature?

Paper Tape
Mathelo

I tried this.  It did nothing for me.  I'm on Windows 7 (64 bit).  I should also note that it has been working perfectly when used with Lenovo's password manager.  It just doesn't work at the Window's 7 login screen.

Louis

Token Ring
Yangorang

Mathelo wrote:

I tried this.  It did nothing for me.  I'm on Windows 7 (64 bit).  I should also note that it has been working perfectly when used with Lenovo's password manager.  It just doesn't work at the Window's 7 login screen.

Louis

Yeah it seems to be a fix only for use with the TV Fingerprint Software but at least it works for now.