Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Steven256
Accepted Solution

Fn Key Combinations not showing menus in Windows 7 Enterprise x64

We've installed WIndows 7 Enterprise x64 on our T420's and X220's. The Hotkey and Communications Drivers are installed as well but when pressing any of the Function key combinations the menus fail to display. When I press Fn+F7 the screen will flash and it will change the output to Projector, Monitor+Projector and just Monitor but the menu doesn't appear. I used the latest Hotkey drivers that were just released yesterday.

I can also launch the Communications Utility Separately and the Fn+F6 options are set to display the menu. Any thoughts?

Thank you

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Re: Fn Key Combinations not showing menus in Windows 7 Enterprise x64

I just happened to be setting up a new T420 from scratch with Win7 x64 so I tried to repro this issue, but I could not.  I set up my system as follows:

1.  install Win7 x64 from Microsoft installation DVD

2.  install T420 ethernet driver

3.  install System Update

4.  run System Update to download and install all Lenovo software

After I did this, Fn-F6 brings up the communications utility menu, and Fn-F7 brings up the display switching utility menu.

So I am wondering if there is some software in your image that is conflicting with the hotkey software?

Paper Tape
Steven256

That's all I did as well. Windows installs from scratch, then I install the nic driver, then system update and then I just run system update. I will try and get a screen of everything that system update lists off.

Paper Tape
Steven256

Here are the pictures. This is right after a fresh install, nothing has been done. I'm using MDT 2010 to manage the installation. It's not a precreated image. I"m going to try installing Windows normally without MDT right now.

Model: T420s, 4171-53U

step1.pngstep2.pngstep3.png

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

Oh - you're using T420s, I thought you were using T420.

There is a known problem with T420s and packages not showing up in TVSU.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/System-Update-missing-lots-of-softwares-and-dr...

Unbelievably, this issue has been ongoing since January and I still don't know when it will be solved.  I'm very sorry for your inconvenience but TVSU is just not going to work for that system right now, and I don't know when it will be fixed.

Paper Tape
Steven256

Sorry, yes, I should have put the S on there. My mistake.

But if I install the software manually, it should show up as well shouldn't it? I've installed the solution center (Which I guss replaced the toolbox), hot keys, communication package.

And is the X220 having the same issue? It was installed from scratch as well with Enterprise x64 and it has the same symptoms.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

To make key combos like Fn-F6 and Fn-F7 work, you need the following software:

1.  Power Management Driver (note this is different than Power Manager):

2.  Hotkey Features Integration

3.  Communications Utility

These packages can be download from the T420s driver matrix at:  http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT063249

Paper Tape
Steven256

Fantastic! Thank you. All I was missing was the power management driver. I'll be adding these to my deployment. Have a good evening.