Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
andrewfong
Accepted Solution

Getting a new trackpad / palm rest

[ Edited ]

I spilled some coffee on my T400's trackpad and the left-click no longer works. A few questions:

1) I have the 3-year thinkpad protection plan, depot-only (41C9334). Is spill damage covered?

2) Assuming it is, I really don't want to be without a laptop for a week while my T400 is in the depot. Is it possible to just order a new trackpad / palm rest assembly and have Lenovo ship it to me?

3) Will manually installing the new palm rest myself void the warranty?

Message Edited by andrewfong on 05-29-2009 10:20 AM
Ctrl-Alt-Del
andrewfong

Re: Getting a new trackpad / palm rest

bump
Retired Guru
ortegaluis

I believe the palm rest/trackpad assembly is a CRU [customer replaceable unit]. Lenovo should be able to send you a new one. The only problem is that they will request that you send the old part back. They may be able to verify that the damage was incurred by liquids which is not covered by your warranty.

Anyways, good luck..

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Serial Port
archer6

andrewfong wrote:

I spilled some coffee on my T400's trackpad and the left-click no longer works. A few questions:

1) I have the 3-year thinkpad protection plan, depot-only (41C9334). Is spill damage covered?

2) Assuming it is, I really don't want to be without a laptop for a week while my T400 is in the depot. Is it possible to just order a new trackpad / palm rest assembly and have Lenovo ship it to me?

3) Will manually installing the new palm rest myself void the warranty?

Message Edited by andrewfong on 05-29-2009 10:20 AM

1) No

2) Yes you may order the part directly from Lenovo, I've ordered from them and they are very good about getting it right out to you. Usually just a few days. 

3) No, this is a customer replaceable part and you will not void your warranty. I am posting a link here for you. It will take you to the Lenovo web site where there are instructions and short movies to show you how to replace the part. 

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-71461

Cheers...

Workstations... T40p ~ T41p ~ T42p ~ T43p ~ T60p ~ T61p ~ W500
T Series........... T20 ~ 21 ~ 22 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 41 ~ 42 ~ 43 ~ 60
X Series........... X20 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 60 ~ 60s ~ 200 ~ 200s