Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
kraigyb

Gobi 3000 not working with Verizon

I recently purchased a T520 without the broadband option (it wasn't an option at the time).  I first tried a Gobi 2000 from an older T510 laptop but it was apparently not compatible in the T520.  Lenovo said I need the Lenovo Broadband Option with the Gobi 3000 card and they also said it would work with Verizon service.  I just installed the Gobi 3000 and the new drivers from Lenovo.  Verizon support said that there is currently no version of Verizon VZAccess manager software that will work.  Is anyone using the Gobi 3000 with Verizon service?  I suppose I could just get an external 4G device from Verizon but I really want an interal device.

Thanks!

What's DOS?
mnevis

Re: Gobi 3000 not working with Verizon

Okay, I've been working on this for over an hour.  I have the T420S and was told by Lenovo to use the Mobile Broadband software to find the ESN, except they don't make the Mobile Broadband software for the T420S yet.

Originally, I went to "Access Connections" (type that in the Start Menu if you can't find it), chose the radio button "Mobile Broadband", and clicked on "Tools".

When I clicked on "Mobile Broadband", and "Account Information", all I got was the IMSI and IMEI and ICCID.  There was no ESN or even MEID.

So, I went to the "Setup Mobile Broadband" application (type in the Start Menu).  I changed the provider to Verizon, then hit "Start Activation".  I chose to "Activate a new wirless account" and then "Self activation".  I chose "Sign up" and let it try to initialize.  It won't initialize, but after you let it try a couple times, then go back to "Access Connections".

Now when you choose "Tools" and "Mobile Broadband", then "Account information", you'll see an MEID number.

That can be converted to ESN using the following converter:

http://www.humpa.com/vzw/meid_to_esn.php

Apparently that MEID number is also on some documentation that came with the computer, but I'm doing this for someone else, so that didn't help me too much.   Additionally, Lenovo said we could open up the computer and find the card and read the number off the card.  The way I did it is much easier than that! 

Good luck!!!

What's DOS?
mrrubin

SO is it working now with Verizon ?  I am about to ordr the 420s with the GOBI for Verizon and want to make sure it works.

thanks,

Broadband 3G
JDay

it should work just fine if you use the "Setup Mobile Broadband" application that is part of the mobile broadband software Lenovo supplies. Worked just fine with my Gobi 2000 anyway.

Paper Tape
zooliu

Has anyone gotten the gobi 3000 to work w/Verizon 4g? 

I had the same problem and Lenovo told me that i had to talk w/verizon directly - verizon told me that that the Gobi 3000 was NOT compatible w/their 4G cards at this point (but would work w/their 3g).

Serial Port
skovron

zooliu wrote:

Has anyone gotten the gobi 3000 to work w/Verizon 4g? 

I had the same problem and Lenovo told me that i had to talk w/verizon directly - verizon told me that that the Gobi 3000 was NOT compatible w/their 4G cards at this point (but would work w/their 3g).

Verizon's 4G is based on LTE and runs at 700Mhz.

The technologies that the Gobi3000 supports does not include LTE or the 700Mhz range .. they are listed as:

HSPA/UMTS – 800/850/900/1900/2100 MHz

Quad-band EDGE/GPRS/GSM –850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Dual-band EV-DO/CDMA – 800/1900 MHz

Prepared for UMTS - AWS and EV-DO/CDMA – 2100 MHz

--

Lenovo T420s, Windows 8 Pro x64, Intel 520 SSD
What's DOS?
brsilver

I just activated Gobi 3000 with Verizon, and my experience may help others.  My T420S came prewired for Gobi but without the chip.  You can buy the device online for maybe $15 less than installed on the laptop from Lenovo, which is what I did, but I wouldn't recommend it.  You need a good jeweler's screwdriver and patience to install without stripping the cover plate screws (locked down really tight).  Once device installed, the driver install is easy, but I had concerns about the Verizon activation.  The Lenovo activation wizard self-install turns out to require a 2 year commitment from Verizon with $175 early term.  I never saw that on the Verizon website, and it doesn't even make sense because the point of Gobi is it is carrier-neutral (so you can switch).  And normally the commitment is for carrier-subsidized hardware, which this is not. 

The Verizon rep said, yes the 2 year is required, did I want them to activate?  I thought at that point that the Lenovo app would be more straightforward, but the rep convinced me that combining the mobile broadband and my phone on one bill would be easier if their telesales did it.  So they transferred me to telesales, where... guess what? no commitment/early term is needed.  Once they had the device activated in their system, they told me to download VZ Access Manager from their site.  There are many many options based on the device and OS.  I found the Gobi for Lenovo but it says there is a conflict with the Lenovo setup software, which I should uninstall.

I didn't trust that advice, so I went back to the Lenovo setup.  Instead of self-install, if you already have a Verizon account for the device, which I now did, they say call this Lenovo activation number.  But that number is just for setting up the financial account with Verizon, no tech help at all on the access manager.  Have to call Lenovo tech support for that!  Before calling I said, by the way, do you know that your self-install requires a 2 year term but Verizon doesn't require it?  And they said, yeah, kind of their little secret.  Ha ha, very funny.  Lenovo tech support said Verizon was right - go to control panel and uninstall the Thinkpad access manager and run the downloaded VZ Access Manager instead.  So it's working, but you would think Lenovo and Verizon could make it a little easier.

Punch Card
trekuhl

i was getting fairly frustrated with this process today and found that if you have existing service you need to run the LENOVO MOBILE BROADBAND activation repeatedly until it actually authenticates. otherwise VZaccess wont ever activate and keep saying the device isnt detected or other strangeness. i had run the lenovo actiavtion prior in the day after updating the MEID on the vz site manually (which is pretty much instantaneous) but the lenovo activation took forever to allow it.

embedded cards are great and all, but the way manufacturers cripple the BIOS (i wanted to move a gobi2000 into this t420s that came out of a t410s) and found we had to upgrade the gobi3000 for this user. the fact that you are using your own equipment seems like this should be easier....ran into the same issue on HP laptops when we ran them years ago. i mean if you are paying for biz machine $1400+ not a cheapy $600 laptop you would expect to do whatever you want with your own equipment.

personally rooted droid with tether has been my best friend for 3+ years or for an end user a 4G mifi is better but some folks dont want another gadget.

------
trekuhl
billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

trekuhl wrote:

i mean if you are paying for biz machine $1400+ not a cheapy $600 laptop you would expect to do whatever you want with your own equipment. 

Its basically a regulatory compliance issue (related to RF emissions) that restrict the use of WWAN cards to whatever the current market offers are at the time the laptop model is released to the market.   For many business users, being assured of regulatory compliance is often quite important for the business of doing business.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Punch Card
trekuhl

[ Edited ]

that is true but then again i could plug any usb device in that defies compliance. either method of adding eqipment is cirumvented if IT doesnt allow users admin access for the OS loaded. but if the user is smart enough to open the bottom and swap/add a miniPCI card they probably know to boot off a CD then to get around that. 

when it boils down they say its for compliance but they also tie you to buying a WWAN/WIFI card from them, the same way dell codes many of their storage devices to only accept disk coded for them. vendors have done this time after time, and in cases such as this they cite compliance but its also to force the user to come back and pay for their product.

but now im running off topic :-P

------
trekuhl