Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
Lacro

HDD Re-Order-Partition organization in a new T410

Recently bought a T410, and though already BackUp'd the hidden partition labeled Q: Drive on DVDs, where the Recovery System resides, (and I intend to leave it that way).

How can I add another partition bigger (to be labeled D: Drive) within the very main C: Drive_HDD, to (or divide for that matter) the huge left one ~ 400 GB (labeled C: ) of the HDD, where the Win7 Pro 32bit and other Apps/ Programs were installed, for securing an isolated area with my data files, without compromising  the 1-button recovery system functionality from the Q: Drive, where the original lenovo+ software reside and also pretend to leave that way (in order to keep the guarantee valid).

My second goal/ setup would be to setup an AntiVirus application (last AVG), before I connect it to the Internet to update the Vantage Tools as well as the rest of the applications, and begin the normal use of my new ThinkPad.

Cheers, C

Serial Port
Lacro

Re: HDD Re-Order-Partition organization in a new T410

Let me re-phrase myself.

Recently bought new T410 w/ 500 GB HDD, on PreInstalled Win7 Pro 32-bit.

I want to go, from Scheme 1 to Scheme 2,

Scheme 1 = 1 HDD and 2 partitions:
i) labeled Q: Drive hidden partition of ~ 40 GB, with the Recovery System
ii) boot C Drive partition on Windows 7 with the remaining huge space, +

Scheme 2 : Same HDD + a 3rd Partition*, but,

KEEP i) labeled Q: Drive hidden partition, with the Recovery System (untouched)

KEEP, BUT Re(duce)-Size ii) boot C Drive partition on Win 7, from 450 to 50 GB, AND,

ADD *iii) the remaining and fresh unallocated 400 GB space left to a new labeled D: new Partition, where I would leave my Data Files.

In case, I would need to re-install the Win 7 setup again from the Recovery area in a later time, I wouldn't compromise my Data Files.

Serial Port
Lacro

Hope this Screen Capture, might enlighten someone to help me out.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KJU_vUpY8HmVTOMR0Q7p5KHHdmAxVztxXLrdUW3Il2g?feat=directlink

It seems that if I resize my HDD as I would like, in order to leave my data files separate from the Win 7 OS area, I might compromise my Recovery Usability.

Though, I couldn't even shrink my 450 GB more than 200 GB... as the image states. Must I add another partition? Is that a Win7 limitation or just my ignorance? In any case, will someone help me out and explain it to me?

Thanks in advance, C

PS

If this issue is already addressed, will someone point me out in that direction? Thanks!

Guru
ColonelONeill

I'm somewhat sure that if you don't touch the Q: while repartitioning, rescue and recovery should continue to work.

As for shrinking the volume, Windows 7 is limited to shrinking the partition upto the first unmovable file (searching from the back forward). Use MiniTool Partition Wizard to do partitioning; it's free and hasn't failed me yet. (Including when W7 decided to derp and delete two of my partitions: Partition Wizard recovered them in a snap.)
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1099/688/1377, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Serial Port
Lacro

Thanks for your input feedback.

Give me a few days to answer, because I should get those specs from the very same ThinkPad, instead of the Y510 from which I'm writing.

I've been eager to "fix" this situation in order to use it ASAP. I've got it for two months now, and almost never touched it, not even connected to the web for updates as I didn't install an AVG yet, because of this situation.

Regards, C

Serial Port
Lacro

Dear Colonel,

Let me thank you again for your timely answer, that I couldn't understand then, and didn't get for a long time in a lot of other places including this forum, until I read this article http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2672-partition-volume-shrink.html
where it states a Warning in the 1st procedure with the doubts I had, regarding your comments and mi inquiries for the new size, etc.

Nevertheless, I still wonder if this > 3rd Party + Win7 Partition-Re-Order-Procedure< might void anything from my guarantee ?
Best regards, Carlos

Let me add, that I bought and got this T410 in April, but brought it in july and haven't had the time YET, to solve this single issue, which kept me out of using it for all this time. Again, as soon as I setup this T410, I will fill your survey.