Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
themusicalduck
Accepted Solution

HDD caddy jammed in Ultrabay. T510.

I bought myself a SATA hard drive caddy off ebay (yes, a knockoff one) and put it into the ultrabay with an SSD in it (the plan was to clone my current drive to the SSD and then put the SSD in the proper drive slot afterwards). The caddy went in fine, but now it just will not come out. I push the unlock switch over and try to push the second switch up but it's completely jammed in there..

So my first plan was to take the keyboard off and just take a look, to see if there was anything obviously wrong. That plan was stopped when one of the screws holding the keyboard in place was in far too tight, and they are really small screws. I didn't want to attempt any further for fear of rounding off the screw head.

So at this point I'm probably going to have to send it back off to Lenovo and have them dismantle the laptop to get this thing out. Before I do that, does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what could be done?

802.11n
CorkyG

Re: HDD caddy jammed in Ultrabay. T510.

[ Edited ]

UBIIvsIII.jpg

Did the Ultrabay Adapter (It's not a caddy!) have the black ejection stub next to the SATA connectors?  If not, it is an Ultrabay II, not III.   The 500-520 series needs that stub in order for the eject mechanism to push the adapter out.  Also, if it is a 9.5mm adapter, the SSD may be sticking up and blocking the ejection. 

Do you have a link to show what you got as an adapter? 

If the SSD is not fasteneed down, when the laptop is turned upside down to work the eject buttons, it can block the eject movement. If you can work those buttons with it right side up, it might come loose.

Fanfold Paper
themusicalduck

[ Edited ]

Here is the one I bought - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200678624681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

It had the black stub that's shown in the pictures on that page.

I thought the SSD might be causing it to jam.

The thing is, the SSD didn't connect well to the SATA connectors at all. It might have been my stupidity, but the SSD appeared to have been on the connectors as much as it was going to go (the connectors DID match though, it is definitely SATA and I put it in the right way around). I put the adapter in, the drive wasn't detected (so evidently the connection wasn't right) and that is when I attempted to take it out.

It's pretty obvious now that the SSD has since then become loose, because I can hear it moving. Which made me assume it wasn't the SSD blocking it, because the ejection switch is completely stiff with no leeway at all.

edit: I did try ejecting with the laptop the right way up, and had no luck

802.11n
CorkyG

[ Edited ]

OK - I assume it is the 9.5mm UB III, and it has a small gap across the top when closed.  You might need a second pair of hands.  Turn the unit right side up, and insert a thin knife blade in the gap so you can press down on the SSD whie at the same time working the two eject buttons.  If you mounted the SSD in a caddy, then the thin plastic pull tab may be sticking up and blockling the ejection.  The knife blade should be able to deal with that.

The SATA connectors can sometimes be tight, and require a lot of pressure to seat the drive connectors in them.

OK, the link you gave shows the 12.7mm adapter - no gap.  It should have 4 screws and holes in the bottom to hold the SSD down.  Also, they won't line up unless the SATA connectors are fully seated.

The thin blade or spatula is still the best option short of sending in the unit.

Fanfold Paper
themusicalduck

[ Edited ]

No luck using the knife.

Screws make sense. Guess I was over eager/didn't think about it since it was only supposed to be temporary anyway.

I don't think there was a plastic tab on it.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

The tray looks to be the right one and I doubt it in itself it the problem.

I am not clear maybe the others are but.

- what height is the SSD drive 9.5mm (check make & model on OEM site)

- does the release slider for the Utrabay move and move all the way over?

- was the SSD drive mounted in/on the tray

You used a knife above the tray I doubt its thin enough get a puddy 1"  applicator metal. they are very thin and the same thickness. You can slide it in the top and far enought to get over the SSD which will both hold it down and/or free the edge if it's hanging up. But I can't see it hanging from the get go. The tray would likely move out a bit before the drive becomes a problem.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Fanfold Paper
themusicalduck

[ Edited ]

The SSD is 9.3mm in height. These are the actual dimensions - 99.8 x 69.63 x 9.3mm

This is the drive model - http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-agility-3-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html

The release slider moves over completely freely. The eject slider does not move even a bit. So I agree the SSD is probably not causing the jam. The knife did actually push the SSD down so that it wasn't moving, and the ejector still would not move.

The SSD was not mounted properly with screws. Since I've been moving the laptop around trying to eject it, the SSD has become loose.

It seems like the problem is to do with ejecting the adapter from the back of it, which is the bit that's most difficult to get to.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Are the release and eject slide not one and the same? It pushes the tray out decoupling it from the connector. I know on my system there appears to be a screw area where I suspect a security screw can be put in so the ultratray cannot be removed.  I doubt you have that installed on yours.

You could try with a wide spatula type thin metal sliding it in at the top of the ultratray and pry slighty all the while having some pushing and holding the release button in. It might just pop out enough and you'd be able to grab it and send it to conventry!!

I say a wide puddly spatula metal because it a very spring tension metal and will not bend permanetly offering controlled pressure and thin and wide so as not to bruse the plastic closer to the keyboard top. I don't know how hard you've pressed the release button with you finger but prying at the edge will assist in the ejection. If you look at the removed DVD tray should can see what is at the other end.

Good luck.

Fanfold Paper
themusicalduck

[ Edited ]

I have a release slider and eject slider. I have to push one to the right (which has the security screw, but there isn't any screw in there at the moment) and then the eject slider which is longer has to be pushed up towards the edge of the laptop. I gather the release slider releases it and the eject slider just pushes the thing out.

It feels like the release slider just isn't doing anything at all, since the eject slider feels no different whether it is pushed over or not. But I had a look inside the gap where the release slider is, and I can see that it is in fact moving the latch and there doesn't appear to be anything that could be holding it in.

I tried sliding a spatula in at the top of the drive, but didn't get any luck. It didn't feel like it was released even a bit.

I can't think of anything else that would be holding it in. Looking at the CD drive, it's all smooth surfaces. Even at the back of it, there's nothing obvious.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Well if both release and eject mechanism are able to move all the way over. I can't help and wonder about the eject mechanism if it actually pushes on the protrusion as in the photo of the Ultra III tray or the metal tray itself.

The great wonder is whether the tray was inserted upside down. That would be the only reason why there is no pressure pushing the tray out and getting it to move. If thats the case prying it out would be the only way to get it out.