Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
rpitiger
Accepted Solution

Help, T420s display/video card issue!

Hi, all. I would appreciate for any input.

Recently it happened a lot with my T420s especially when I was on full-screen video playback. The screen suddenly became like the image I attach below and there was no response at all. Then after 30 seconds or so, the system would shut down. I suspect it a over-heat problem with my video card. BTW, the fan in my T420s is also running like crazy all the time, I have put up with this ever since I got my laptop

My last laptop was T61. With all the Nvidia video card problem before, I am so afraid this would hit me again. Should I return the laptop immediately to Lenovo. I am writing my thesis right now with this computer. Really cannot afford not having my computer for some time.

photo.JPG

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: Help, T420s display/video card issue!

rpitiger wrote:

Should I return the laptop immediately to Lenovo? I am writing my thesis right now with this computer.

Did the machine ship less than 21 days ago?  If yes, yes to the question above.  At least that is what  would do.

Token Ring
Kicker774

I've seen 2 maybe 3 of these.

You'll need to send it back to Lenovo to get the systemboard replaced. (Video card issue of some sort)

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

it is better to exchange it for new one if you are within the DOA time period, or get it repaired if it is more than 21 days old.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Retired Employee
NINE

Hi rpitiger,

Wow, what ur is something i've never seen before. I must agree with the rest of the guys in this discussion though. The best bet is to contact Lenovo service and arrange for a repair it does look as if the graphics on ur machine has malfuctioned.

However i would like to know what type of graphics card do you have and which operating system do u have installed?

Do let me know and let check if there a way or at least a work around that can help.

regards

Paper Tape
Tug777

I have the same exact issue with my T420s. When I watch a video longer than 45 minutes, my T240s screen goes all white (exactly the same as the picture shown in this thread).

I did update the video drivers from Lenovo website but it did not resolve the problem.

Yes, the system is under warranty but is this a product defect or an engineering issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Paper Tape
kayttajatunnus

[ Edited ]

Same thing here.

Has anyone found any solution?

I have T420s, Win7 Pro 64-bit, i5-2520, Intel HD3000 graphics card.

http://i45.tinypic.com/vie6v5.jpg

Mod edit:  Converted pic to link per Forum rule, 50k limit on pics

Token Ring
Kicker774

The solution is to have the systemboard replaced.

I havn't seen a repeat of this issue on the few machines (2 or 3) since replacing the systemboard.

Paper Tape
kayttajatunnus

Thanks for the info. I'll contact Lenovo support.
nibs
Topics: 43
Kudos: 143
Solutions: 39

rpitiger wrote:

Really cannot afford not having my computer for some time.

If it is foreseeable that being without your computer would create a hardship, then you should consider upgrading to one of the warranties with on-site service. I have next business day on-site service on both of my ThinkPads and it makes life easier. 

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

My TPs: Twist 2HU: i5-3317U Win 8 Pro, 4GB RAM 250GB Samsung 840 | T420 4177CTO: i5-2520M, HD+, Win 7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Optimus, 160GB Intel 320 SSD, Intel 6300 WiFi, BT 3.0 | T400 2764CTO: P8700, WXGA, Win 7 Ult x64, AMD 3470, 8GB RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD, BT, Intel 5300 WiFi | A20m 14.1" PIII 500 (retired). Monitors: 2x Dell U2211h IPS 100% sRGB calibrated w/ Spyder3.