Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
koolzero
Accepted Solution

Hibernating causes system to shutdown

I have a T400 2767-CTO with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53 GHz 2 GBs of Ram running Windows XP SP3.

When I put it into Hibernate the system goes through what looks like hibernating, with a hibernate progress bar but the system actually shutsdown.

community supermod
erik

Re: Hibernating causes system to shutdown

this is normal.   hibernation saves the memory contents to a file on the hard drive and shuts down completely.   when the system reboots, the hibernation file is read and the contents are written to memory, putting your system back to the same state it was in before hibernating.

suspend (or sleep) is the only state where the system doesn't fully shut down.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Serial Port
David011777

Re: Hibernating causes system to shutdown

I'm not sure this is what he's referring to, Erik.  I recently installed 4 updates to my new T400 laptop (running with Windows XP SP3, ATI Radeon integrated graphics engaged, computer build 2764CTO) on March 29 including Thinkvantage active protection plus, ATI mobility-Radeon/FireGL (PCI Express-2), Thinkvantage access connections v. 5.2, and Thinkpag hotkey deatures setup - now anytime I try to hibernate the computer via closing the screen, the 'moon' icon no longer engages on the cover of the laptop and the computer reboots when I open it up again.  I then get a message saying that Windows just recovered from a 'serious' error resulting in BSOD.  Researching this somewhat I have a feeling it is related to the ATI download that was just installed, but have not gone so far as to uninstall it. 

Any ideas? Anybody?

Serial Port
David011777

T400 with XP SP3 crashes when trying to hibernate or sleep

This was a nightmare to solve, but I finally figured it out (!)-

I have a Lenovo T400 (model 2764CTO) with XP downgrade, SP3 and all current Lenovo updates including the most current version of the BIOS (2.07).  Since installing the most recent BIOS, I was experiencing BSOD every time I closed the computer to hibernate OR when I would manually try to hibernate - I'd then get some error with ATI2dvag.dll.  Looking at the forums, this is hardly a problem I am experiencing alone.

Lots of people suggested reinstalling previous versions of the BIOS, which I tried - 2.03, and then 1.20 - but the crash persisted and resulted in a serious error for Windows that couldn't be reported by sending an error report (I got a screen that basically said "You're in trouble somehow, because the problem can't even be reported to us...some file is corrupt."  Bad news.

I then begin looking at forum problems elsewhere and found that the problem may be with the most current driver for my ATI Radeon integrated graphics card (HD 3400) - my driver was concomitantly updated to version 8.55.081010a-071474C-lenovo.  I decided to rollback this driver (can be found on Lenovo/ibm drivers download site) to the previous version: 8.503.2.2000.  I downloaded this, replaced the most current driver - and the problem has absolutely resolved itself.  Strong suggestion to anyone having similar crashes with hibernation/sleep - roll back the ATI driver.

Hope this helps - it took me about 3 hours to figure it out.  I sincerely hope that Lenovo and ATI look into this issue because it's incredibly frustrating to users and the potential to lose or corrupt data while doing something as benign as hibernating is very high.

What's DOS?
jennilis

Re: T400 with XP SP3 crashes when trying to hibernate or sleep

I've had my new T400 running XP with SP3 for a month now, with it blue screening on the ati2dvag.dll at least once a day as  Icome out of either hibernate/sleep, plugged in or not, every day. I've updated to the latest BIOS, rolled back to various older drivers, updated to the latest ATI driver, etc, all to no useful end.

I read in this thread that someone else has fixed this problem by getting a specific old driver: "I decided to rollback this driver (can be found on Lenovo/ibm drivers download site) to the previous version: 8.503.2.2000.", but I cannot find it anywhere on-line. Can someone please point me to where I can get this driver, or to a different solution that works? 

It is unbelievable that Lenovo doesn't have a posted fix for this (not to mention their Productivity Center updates haven't worked since I got the laptop, despite a message saying that this will be fixed by May and it is now almost the end of May...). This is the last Lenovo product I'll purchase even though I had no problems at all with my old T60. 

Serial Port
David011777

Ha! That was me - glad you found the solution; sorry you didn't find the driver.  Here is the link:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70366

Scroll to the bottom of the page and download previous version labeled Build '7YD119YY'.  That's vers. 8.503.2.2

What's DOS?
jennilis

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! I installed that driver, and the problem has disappeared. You saved me having to return my T400 which after a month I was getting very close to doing!
Fanfold Paper
izzy

I have the same problem with 3 of my T500s with XP downgrade.  Rolling back to the 8.503.200 driver didn't help but I read somewhere that I may have to disable the ATI graphics altogether and just use the Intel drivers.
What's DOS?
jsmolens

I found that the ThinkVantage System Update did not install the latest driver correctly for my T400. 

Uninstalling, then manually installing 7yd123ww.exe, with reboots in between, gave me both the new video driver and a system that didn't crash after hibernation/suspend.