Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
guyhimmel

How can I fit a SSD into my T420s?

Hello,

I just got myself a new T420s with a 320gb 7200rpm hard drive and a cellular modem.

From what I've understood, if I want to use a SSD I must lose either my CD-ROM or my cellular modem.

1. I use my Mobile Broadband a lot and I rather keep it. Can I just replace the HDD with a SSD? (and keep the CD-ROM)

2. In case I would get the CD-ROM out of the laptop, and move the entire data and operation system to the SSD, will it be as fast as fiting the SSD in the Mobile Broadband slot? Is it a recommended solution? Does it mean I can keep the HDD inside as well?

3. Which SSD will fit my needs the best?

Thank you very much,

I appreciate your assistance.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: How can I fit a SSD into my T420s?

guyhimmel wrote:

Any good 7mm height SSD.  The Samsung Series 830 SSD's or the Intel models are good choices.

Broadband 3G
JDay

ThorsHammer wrote:

guyhimmel wrote:

Any good 7mm height SSD.  The Samsung Series 830 SSD's or the Intel models are good choices.

I'd go with the Samsung, they're faster and just as reliable.

802.11n
CorkyG

[ Edited ]

The suggested Samsung is a good fit.  It can replace your internal 320GB HDD.  You can add the Ultrabay III adapter and use it to hold your old 320 GB HDD as a data drive.  You don't give up your optical - you just have to switch it when you need it.  Never heard of anything impacting the broadband modem.  AFAIK, that is a small, internal PCB attached to the mobo.

My mobile broadband modem is a Sierra Merlin Express Card.  No SSD can fit in that slot.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

CorkyG wrote:

My mobile broadband modem is a Sierra Merlin Express Card.  No SSD can fit in that slot.

Actually it isn't out of the realm of reason that a SSD could be created that uses 34mm or 54mm ExpressCard slot.  The mSATA SSD drives are pretty tiny.  I don't know how big a market we're talking about though. It seems ExpressCard slots are on their way out.

802.11n
TheDude

Does 420s have a 1.8" primary drive?  If so, there are only a few SSDs that can replace it.  Intel 320 is one option.  Other choice is to ditch your CD/DVD and replace with an ultrabay adapter.  Any 7 or 9 mm drive should fit there.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

T420s uses a 7 mm 2.5 inch drive.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft