Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Balvenie15
Accepted Solution

How can I swap the Fn and Ctrl keys?

I need a way to swap the Fn and Ctrl keys! This is absolutely destroying my user experience with this product. I do not have a choice as this laptop was provided by my employer, but I will do everything that I can to either fix this issue or to get my employer to buy laptops elsewhere.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T420 and I find the fact that the Fn key is to the right of the Ctrl key very irritating. I have been using computers for 20 years and the Ctrl key has always been the right most key on the keyboard. Not only is it hard to overcome the muscle memory which I have developed, but it also puts considerable strain on my fingers. This oversight in keyboard design also makes it very hard to switch back and forth between computers. This seemingly small problem is magnified by the fact that I spend an average of 10 hours a day in front of computers.

Please post a BIOS fix to remap these two keys. Key-remapping utilities that I have explored do not have the ability to remap the Fn key because it is controlled by the hardware.

Guru
PeterTWJ

Re: How can I swap the Fn and Ctrl keys?

[ Edited ]

Balvenie15 wrote: 

Please post a BIOS fix to remap these two keys. Key-remapping utilities that I have explored do not have the ability to remap the Fn key because it is controlled by the hardware.

Hi Balvenie15

From what I know, previous batch of ThinkPad (starting with T400, T500, X200, W500, W700) already have an option to swap Fn and Ctrl keys. This links also provides another link to explain why it is designed this way.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Why-is-the-FN-key-on-the-outside-left-inste...

Happy 2012! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter
W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

The BIOS feature that you request already exists.

1.  reboot the computer

2.  press F1 to enter BIOS setup

3.  config -> keyboard/mouse -> Fn and Ctrl Key swap

Token Ring
gat0gelat0

Once you have swapped it in the BIOS, you can also phsically swap the two keys. Someone recommended using a credit card to pry the keys out. I tried it and it worked fine. Swap the keys, then snap them down in the positions you want (don't glue them back or anything).
Punch Card
skie41

On my T420(and I suspect every other T420 heh) the Ctrl and Fn keys are a different width, and so I think you wouldn't be able to physically swap them, unless there's something I'm missing...

Token Ring
gat0gelat0

Sorry, I have the x120e and the two keys are of the same size, so I thought it might be similar on all Lenovo laptops. I guess not....
802.11n
CorkyG

Seems to me that the simplest solution is to connect an external keyboard (USB) and leave the company's Thinkpad alone.

What's DOS?
music7ak

Fn and Ctrl key swap does not appear in BIOS menu in earlier version (2009). How can I switch the two keys?

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi music7ak, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

That BIOS option first appeared in the T410/T510, in 2010. If you have an earlier model, you can't switch the keys.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Blue Screen Again
craig-t

Great, didn't know you could do this.

I too find myself hitting the wrong key as Ctrl as the bottom left is just ingrained in my memory. Shame the buttons can't be physically switched but nevermind.

The only reason I like the FN on the bottom left is for easiest access to the thinklight - shame this wasn't a separate button/

Could the ThinkVantage button be remapped to be the light would you know?