Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
Soduku
Accepted Solution

How do I install my Sim Card? T420S?

Hi there

I have a T420S 4174. I'm afraid if I put it in will get stuck or something?

How do I put it in, is ther some kind of sim card holder or something? Or does it just slide in?

Thank you

ThinkPad T420s (4174-HG6) i5-2540M 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD
ThinkPad T430s (2356-GDG) i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD x 2
Guru
Mornsgrans

Betreff: How do I install my Sim Card? T420S?

[ Edited ]

Remove the battery. You should find the SIM-card slot there.

On the blue latch you will see, how to attach the SIM card. Don't remve the blue latch -you'll need it to remove the SIM-card from the slot.

See userguide page 123

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Token Ring
Soduku

There is no blue latch?

802.11n
CorkyG

In referenced user guide above, SIM replacement/placement is on Page 141, well illustrated.  The blue tab is not a latch - simply a pull out tab.  See the pictures in the User Guide.

Token Ring
Soduku

Guys there is no tab to pull out? Can someone please help me...

Lenovo Staff
Serene_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

Hi Soduku

The SIM card slot can be, as Mornsgrans mentioned, found in the section where the battery is. Remove the battery, and look for this blue plastic flap that looks like this jutting out (I'm using a T420 too.)

step1.JPG

Pic 1: Where the SIM card slot is

Gently pull on the blue flap towards you so that the dummy white card will come out.

step2.JPG

Pic 2: Removing the dummy card.

Then, insert your SIM card into the slot (make sure that you do so according to the orientation shown on the flap) and you are done!

Hope the above helped!

serene

Guru
Mornsgrans

[ Edited ]

If there is no blue flap/latch there won't be a SIM-card holder and so your laptop has no wireless WAN.

Concerning your Thinkpad type number:

Please let us know the next three chars right of "Type 4174-" 

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Token Ring
Soduku

Nah.

The T420s has newer mechanism where you just insert the sim card. Works fine for me right now.

Thanks for your help though

RTM
Paper Tape
RTM

[ Edited ]

In June 2012 I bought a notebook Lenovo ThinkPad T420i (M/T: 4236IF7) with dummy SIM (Subscriber Identification Module) card. By replacing this dummy SIM with real card I can establish a wireless WAN (Wide Area Network) connections.

»User Guide, ThinkPad T420 and T420i«, English edition, on page 142 - 143 includes instructions to replace the SIM card: turn off the computer, disconnect the AC power adapter and all cables, close the computer display and turn it over, remove the battery and find the SIM card slot inside the open battery compartment. Gently pull the tab (e.g. blue plastic flap) extending from the slot until it stops. The card comes partway out of the slot. Now you can remove the card. Insertion of the SIM card goes the opposite way: put SIM card over the tab (e.g. blue plastic flap) and push all together into the slot, then insert the battery, attach all cables etc. Original pictures from the Guide:

The  method  and  description  to  remove  and  insert  SIM  card  together  with  the  blue  plastic  flap  is  absolutely  inappropriate  and  worthless,  because  after  some  application  the  tab  (blue  plastic  flap)  would  unglue  or  even  break !

After consulting a Service Provider I was advised to change the motherboard! Price 500 - 600 €. Of course, there is no guarantee that the tab will not unglue in the future.

The service center for repairing photo cameras (sic !) has a simple and cheap solution: whet the upper side of the SIM card slot (plastic!) for about 2-3 mm. See the result:

However an »amateur whetting« is not the right way. The world-wide computer company IBM – Lenovo should find a better way. My personal opinion as a user is:

•       A slot for a SIM card should have an easy and not a complicated access. Media card reader slot is a very good example for supporting SD, SDHC, SDXC and Multi Media Card.
  •       A method for inserting and specially removing a SIM card should have the same approach as a media card reader: gently press the card to eject it from a computer for 2-3 mm and then remove the card from the computer.

:smileyfrustrated:

Moderator note: images larger than 50k converted to links per forum rules:   Lenovo Community Participation Rules