Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
bluesilk

How to make T410 combo jack working with 4 ring headset?

This has puzzled me for a while - the mic part of the combo jack does not work.

I have a headset which works properly with my Nokia E63 phone. the connector looks like

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IPod_and_iPhone_audio_plugs.JPG

although I could not find electrical definition of terminal/ring for either E63 or T410/T510.

I suppose my E63 headset should work with T410 combo jack. When I plug it into the combo jack, the sound  switched from speaker to headphone but the machine is still using the intenal mic (right below the LCD screen) for input, not the mic on my headset.

Note that the internal mic is quite sensitive (default boost set to +30db) so if without careful test, one would not know that it is the internal one. (it can be tested using the Recording device property of Control Panel/Sound and tapping lightly on headset mic and internal mic and observe the signal change detected by windows).

I spent probably 3-4 hours on this single issue but to no avail (including one hour with an undertrained Atlanta support personel). I hope some of you could do a test of headset on your T410/T510 and see whether it works for you and provide me with some tips.

========

T410 with integrate graphics

Win7 pro x64

BIOS: 1.09 (2010-01-07)

Embedded Controller: 1.03

Token Ring
cassio

Re: How to make T410 combo jack working with 4 ring headset?

[ Edited ]

from what i understand, the t410 uses an iphone-compatible jack. now i don't know if the nokia jack is electrically the same as an iphone jack, but if it isn't then i don't think you can use it.

you get audio because all these are electrically compatible to the traditional audio jack for audio output.

i guess the easiest way is to try your headset with an iphone.

----------------------------
T400s - 2815RW1 + Win7 Ultimate :smileyvery-happy:
Don't pm me for help! That's what the forum is for. Also, Google's nicer than me. Ask him.
Fanfold Paper
bluesilk

Re: How to make T410 combo jack working with 4 ring headset?

I don't have an iPhone around me nor an iPhone headset. So I could not test Cassio's susgestion for now.

For now, I use a bluetooth headset as a workaround.

Can anyone with a iphone headset verify his or her T410 combo jack actually using the external mic on the headset? thanks.

Paper Tape
swalker2

blem on my t410Re: How to make T410 combo jack working with 4 ring headset?

i have exactly the same problem on my T410.  Would like to get a fix.

Fanfold Paper
bluesilk

Re: blem on my t410Re: How to make T410 combo jack working with 4 ring headset?

swalker2 - what headset do you use? is it a iPhone headset?

Fanfold Paper
bluesilk

Mystery resolved:

so I borrowed an iPhone headset from a colleage today. it magically worked!

Moreover the iPhone headset was not recognised by my Nokia E63 as a headset.

Final word: The Nokia headset is different in electrical defination, which is amazing because they have exactly same physical metal contact piece. That is sad - I need to buy additional accesory now, :smileysad:

Token Ring
len0v0

I figured it out.  My iPhone headphone speakers worked fine, but no microphone. These instructions for Windows 7 turned on my mic in my T410...

• Control Panel > Sound  (this brings up the Sound control panel)
  • Click on the Recording tab
  • Highlight the "External Microphone" listed and hit the Configure button
  • Click "Set up Microphone"
  • Select "Headset Microphone"
  • Follow the steps. 

You should see a screen with a sound level bar.  You should see that your microphone is now working on the level indicator.  You're good to go!

Fanfold Paper
hkmix

As far as I know the iPhone buds actually do use a slightly different pin/ring configuration. The iPhone buds will work in any random 2-ring audio out as a regular pair of earbuds, but many other cellphone headsets will not work the same way. In my experience iPhone buds do work with my T510 combo jack, albeit the microphone quality is more or less abysmal.

(I use a Snowball mic and speakers off an external sound card now)