Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
ashenkin

How to turn off NVIDIA when on battery?

Hi Folks,

I have the Optimus thing, and the NVIDIA chip is staying active when I'm on battery (as verified by NVGPUStateViewer64). Is there any way to have it automatically turn off when I'm on battery, or are apps that were attached to NVIDIA while plugged in keeping NVIDIA awake when I switch to battery? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

T410 2516-CTO
Optimus: NVS 3100M + Intel HD (most recent optimus driver installed)
Win 7 Pro x64 SP1

Broadband 3G
JDay

Re: How to turn off NVIDIA when on battery?

[ Edited ]

Are you positive that you have Optimus enabled in the BIOS? The Nvidia GPU should turn off when not if use if you have Optimus enabled.

EDIT: NvOptimusTestViewer64.exe should show what applications are using the Nvidia GPU.

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/26992-optimus-test-tools-finally-in-users-hands/

Blue Screen Again
ashenkin

I think the point is that there are programs using the NVIDIA chip.  In my case, when I go on battery, firefox.exe and mediamonkey.exe are still using the NVIDIA processor.

Of course, it would be nice to be able to kick those processes off the NVIDIA chip and onto the Intel HD chip (like switchable graphics used to do), but sounds like that might not be possible to do automatically (and I'm definitely not going to hunt around for applications using NVIDIA each time I unplug the computer).

Any ideas, or are those of us with Optimus stuck with an NVIDIA processor sucking our battery power?

thanks!

Guru
ColonelONeill

You can right click the program, run with graphics processor, change default graphics processor. I set mine to default to integrated, and then enable discrete per-program as necessary.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Blue Screen Again
ashenkin

Gotcha. But no way to set it at a system level I assume.
Broadband 3G
JDay

NVIDIA Control Panel, 3D Settings, Global Settings Tab, Preferred Graphics Processor. Set this to "Integrated Graphics".