Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Zkris
Accepted Solution

Huge slowdown on T520 after updating through TV System Update

[ Edited ]

I recently updated a whole bunch of things on my T520, and afterwards experienced a significant slowdown in everything -- startup time as well as just general work. There's often a long lag when opening programs or documents, right clicking, etc. Part of this seems to be due to higher CPU usage. While idling (i.e. just sitting on my desktop) and looking at Task Manager, CPU usage seems higher than normal on some things -- SynTPEnh.exe will consume 3-8% of CPU, one instance of svchost.exe will take up to 10%, etc. My total idling CPU usage is generally 15-25% now. (I have a quad-core i7.) Also, my battery life dropped precipitously; it used to be upwards of 5 hours on a full charge when just doing general web browsing and word processing, but now it's less than 2 hours. 

Going around in Process Explorer and Task Manager, I've found a few things that seemed somewhat unusual: A lot of my processes have many page faults -- slightly under 15 minutes after starting up my computer, SynTPEnh.exe has about 250,000, SimpleTap.exe has over 50,000, the instance of svchost.exe with the Base Filtering Engine, Diagnostic Policy Services, and Windows Firewall has about 250,000, and Process Explorer itself has about 250,000. There were also some items that seemed like they might be taking up more memory (Private Bytes, in Process Explorer) than they should -- dwm.exe is using about 150 MB, and SimpleTap.exe is using about 115 MB. Also, my CPU percentage of Interrupts jumps around, most of the time staying between 2-5%.

I'm not sure what bits of this are actually significant, but there's definitely been a huge slowdown since installing the updates. I'm happy to provide any information that would be helpful in dealing with this. Thanks!

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Re: Huge slowdown on T520 after updating through TV System Upgrade

First Please clarify "TV System Upgrade"
Have you rebooted again after this. Sometimes there are addition tasks that don't finish up what they're doing until another boot. Cold shutdown then startup. I notice mine using 1.8GB of ram and seemed high, much higher than my old Core Duo HP I am on now. I had to send my T520 off for service yesterday so no point of reference.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

TV system upgrade probably means Thinkvantage System Update
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
Zkris

Yes, I meant ThinkVantage System Update, sorry. I've shut down and restarted a number of number of times, with no effect.
Bit Torrent
tripplec

Was the BIOS upgraded in your system. If its new there would not be an update. but  if so enter and check the settings for anything unusual. Save settings since new updates sometime update to CMOS for hardware automatically but still require you to SAVE settings before exiting. Then try again. This only takes 2 minutes depending on how long you're looking around etc.

I hope that helps.You could call support but I doubt they would have anything useful to resolve this.

Check each of the Lenovo apps will load and run without errors. Maybe failed install of a subsystem.

Then I would look at the Event logs  for problems right after bootup noting the system time.

Punch Card
Zkris

I did upgrade the BIOS, but only after the problems started, in hopes that it would fix them, so the BIOS isn't the problem I think.

Where can I look at the event logs? The ones in the ThinkVantage toolkit?
Bit Torrent
tripplec

Right click on COMPUTER from the Start button. Select MANAGE and within there you will see Event viewer. Info wil appear after several seconds as logs are loaded. They are group and can take time to understand.

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Also if this was happening before the update as you seem to be saying. I would verify you Power profile settings.

Select the Performance profile and you don't want the HD to cycle down after x minutes either on AC or battery. That will otherwise insert a large lag in preformance.

Punch Card
Zkris

[ Edited ]

I found out that I had a very high level of hardware DPCs, used the tool LatencyMon to find out what was causing the problem. There were a few things that looked suspicious, and I uninstalled the Ethernet controller driver and reinstalled a different one, which I believe helped the problem somewhat -- some programs that seemed to be using a lot of memory and having a lot of page faults are somewhat better.

Graphics also seemed to be part of the problem, and I uninstalled one of the drivers for the integrated Intel graphics adapter. However, I now cannot seem to install a new driver. In device manager, the items that show up under Display Adapters are the NVIDIA NVS 4200M, and "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter." When I try installing the Intel drivers normally, I get a message saying, "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software." I've tried manually installing the driver through Device Manager, but get a message saying "The driver selected for this device does not support this version of Windows." (I did download the x64 version.) I've tried uninstalling the default Windows driver, but the screen flicks off and on and then Windows immediately, automatically detects it and reinstalls the standard driver. How can I install drivers for the integrated graphics??

After uninstalling the drivers, Windows booted to an 800x600 screen resolution, and would only let me increase it to 1024x768. I've worked around it by going to the BIOS and setting the display option to use the Nvidia card, however, when using this the Intel//Standard VGA Graphics Adapter does not show up in Device Manager at all.

Punch Card
Zkris

Also, an update on the DPC latency: I tried going through and disabling things one by one to isolate the problem, and I've traced it back to my wireless adapter, which shows up in Device Manager as Intel WiFi Link 100 BGN. Does anybody know where I could find an older, working version of the driver? Also, how can I check to see what specifically is the problem? TV System Update also installed two things called Intel Network Connections Drivers and Intel Management Engine Components (that's what they're called in the Programs and Features list in Control Panel); could either of those be the issue?