Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
axiom3d

If laptop is powered off on dock, will not display image when powered back on.

Very strange issue here is happening here. When the laptop T410s is always off before it's docked, so once it's docked I press the power button and no image shows up on the external monitor.  I then open the lid of the T410s, press the power button on the laptop, quickly close the lid and it comes up. 

I've tried different docking stations, power supplies and the issue still persisted.  I then tried another Lenovo T410 and it boots fine.

Here's the kicker... When the T410s is not powered down while docked and only logged off, then undocked, and then powered down. When it's reseated into the dock and powered up it works fine.

It then made me believe there was a Docking profile issue. I've removed the docking profiles and recreated them, since it that didn't work; I even set XP to allow us to manually choose whether it's docked or undocked.  This did not work.

Is anyone else experiencing this or have the expertise on this subject?

802.11n
Ideasmiths

Re: If laptop is powered off on dock, will not display image when powered back on.

[ Edited ]

I have a T410s with 2 external monitors that I always used. 1x24inch LCD connected using VGA to VGA and 1x26inch LCD connected using displayport to HDMI. It used to be fine until some intel grapics driver update a while back.

So I come to believe is the driver fault and/or the internal graphic card lack of capacity.

My solution is to setup the monitors the way I like is to change the BIOS to boot up from displayport, and when successful going into the desktop then disable the laptop LCD. Then connect the 2nd LCD, extend the desktop and setup the resolution. From that point on I must always boot up with VGA disconnect then after into desktop, plug in the VGA cable and it will show up fine. If I forget and left the displayport + VGA connected when I bootup, it will fail and I have to do the initial setup again.

So something with the displayport/graphic card/graphic memory is making the T410s 'forget' or discard the displayport. or the 1900x1200 resolutions of 2x monitors overwhelm the graphics card memory and it had to made a choice or give up. Most of the time it just goes blank or flash on/off

In your case, if you only have 1x external monitor you can just change the BIOS to bootup screen in VGA/Displayport/Dock and when in the dsektop, set to duplicate mode for both screens. Then download this utility called ultramon and use it to setup the extended display setting to your liking, save the profile on the desktop/startup folder. When your T410s bootup, intel driver will boot in duplicate mode so it will go into the desktop, once it's there, the ultramon will takes over and change it to the extended setup. Play with the sequence/settings a bit to see which ones works for your setup....and hope lenovo comes up with better drivers.