Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing HDD in UltraBay - is this safe and secure?

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎03-12-2012 by
Modified ‎03-12-2012 by
(691 Views)

Installing HDD in UltraBay - is this safe and secure?

Question

I want to equip my T510 with a second drive, likely a 60gb or 120gb SSD.

I plan to utilize the existing 320GB for main storage.

I am wary of using an HDD in the Ultrabay slot, as I feel it may take more abuse or potential ejection there, which is better for SSDs.

Is there anyway to RAID array a 60gb boot partition in the 320GB drive with the SSD?

Answer

Ultrabay III.gifIt is safe to install an HDD in the UltraBay slot as it is perfectly secure and in no danger of being ejected. To manually eject a device from the  Ultrabay, there is a two step process to slide a small switch which then pops out a release tab which has to be pulled to remove the tray.  Earlier ThinkPads had a security screw which could be added to ensure the ultrabay could not be ejected - this was discontinued on systems built after June 2009.

The Active Protection System even works with drives in the ultrabay.  Not required for SSD.

RAID is not a supported feature of the ultrabay.

A tip during installation: when you install the SSD you only put the rubber bumper rails on it. The cage the stock drive is in is needed to lock the drive into the Ultrabay adapter.

Comments
by ‎07-24-2012 09:22 AM - edited ‎07-24-2012 09:30 AM

Serene_Lenovo wrote:

A tip during installation: when you install the SSD you only put the rubber bumper rails on it. The cage the stock drive is in is needed to lock the drive into the Ultrabay adapter.

Should this be " The cage the stock drive is not needed to lock the drive into the Ultrabay adapter."?

I just wanted to get clarification on this important step, Thanks!