Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

Re: International warranty on Thinkpads?

TDP = thermal design power

The T400 or R400 never have these ports, as there is no space to put it. I just get a Lenovo usb2dvi converter for mine T400 and R400.

In the T400s, the displayport is available on the T400s, only because it has the battery compartment changed to resemble that of the X300, x301... so that the rear space can be utilised for ports purpose rather than the battery.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Serial Port
Hargo

[ Edited ]

lead_org, do you like my customization? Do you have a T400? How's the flex, is it as bad as shown in some youtube videos?

ThinkPad T400 - 1 Yr Depot Warranty
2764CTO

Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8700 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2)

Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
    System graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 3470 with 256MB
    Total memory: 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM) 
    Keyboard: Keyboard US English
    Pointing device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
    Hard drive: 64 GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA
    Optical device: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
    System expansion slots: Express Card Slot & 7-1 Media Card Reader
    Wireless card: ThinkPad WiFi (BGN)
    Mobile Broadband: Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
    Battery: 6 cell Li-Ion Battery 
    Power cord: Country Pack North America with Line cord & 90W AC adapter 
    Language pack: Language Pack US English 
    Accessories and options:                                
    ThinkPad T400 / R400 14W Privacy Filter

I'm going to use it for light gaming, programming, some multimedia and data processing.

I'm really excited about the SSD but I would want to get 64GB since it's cheaper than the 128GB. But I was wondering, I saw in some youtube video a guy pop out the DVD-drive and put in another HDD in the bracket. Is that possible on the T400? I really don't use the DVD-drive so if this is an option I would really like to utilize it. Then I would use the 64GB SSD as my Windows partition and then the HDD for storage.

You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPt6RODSW4

On 4:43 the guy replaces the DVD drive.

lead_org

[ Edited ]

The older T400 which i got from my friend do have flexes in the keyboard, which i put the keyboard from my T61 into and it worked like a charm. The T400 i bought from the store, which had the keyboard support bracket didn't exhibit much flex in the same region, so i didn't bother to change the keyboard. All the newly made T400 that came from the factory has this bracket installed in the upper left region of the keyboard, so your one would have one too. 

Your spec is much better than one i had, a lot better. It is almost like my W500 apart from the graphics card. And i never ordered the SSD on mine. Considering how much money i spend on thinkpad laptops, i never actually bought a ssd, which is irrational, i don't know why. 

What you are saying about the hdd in the dvd drive slot is possible, with the SATA caddy generation 3. I have one in my W500. 

ThinkPad Serial Hard Drive Bay Adapter III <- is what you need.

PN : 43N3412

Regards,

Jin Li

Serial Port
Hargo

Thanks for this info lead_org

But I contacted Nýherji in Iceland and they weren't quite sure if the Base warranty: 2764: 1 Year Depot Warranty would be enough to ensure international warranty. 

But when I type 2764 in the search warranty page I get Nyherji in Iceland.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=LOOK-IWS

How can I find out which warranty upgrade is enough to ensure international warranty?

Please help...someone.

I'm determined to get this T400 customization I have set up since I can use usb2dvi plug to get HDMI out.

lead_org

you can't upgrade the international warranty coverage, if the IWS say 2764 is covered, then 2764 it is covered, they can add countries to the list but can't not delete it without prior notice.

So if your model have a 2764 therefore according to the IWS it is covered, the person whom you called don't know what they are talking about. 

The only warranty you can upgrade is the level of service, like whether someone comes to your place to fix the problem or sending it in to fix the problem. Not where the laptop is covered under the IWS. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Serial Port
Hargo

[ Edited ]

I got another answer from Nyherji. They say that it's not necessarily under IWS even though Nyherji comes up when you search for 2764 on the warranty search page. They say that this only lists the companies that are licensed to service these type of laptops.To know if the laptop is under IWS coverage they need the serial number of the machine and I can't get that before I get my laptop.

I find this extremely frustrating! The people at websales@lenovo.com won't answer my emails and I have no way of knowing before I order from the website if my laptop is under international warranty or not!

What should I do??

Serial Port
Hargo

[ Edited ]

Is the only way to contact customer support through telephone?

Are there any Lenovo employees who monitor these forums who can clear up this issue for me once and for all??

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi Hargo!

This is a users helping users forum, and is not monitored by Lenovo employees. A few of them do roam around and help in their spare time.

As far as I can see, you are good to go with that machine type, and will get IWS. I've availed myself of IWS in Hong Kong for my X61 model type 7675, listed as eligible for IWS there, just like the one you are looking at lists Iceland.

I don't understand why the local Lenovo contact is clouding the issue.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Serial Port
Hargo

[ Edited ]

Yeah I don't understand why they give me so fuzzy answers but they say I need the serial number to be able to determine for sure if the laptop is eligable for IWS in Iceland. They say that some people buy the Thinkpads only with USA warranty and some retailers even buy Thinkpad laptops with no warranty at all and take the cost of service on themselves, so typing the model number on this warranty search page doesn't say anything about the IWS itself, it just lists the official service providers in each country which they can get warranty service at IF they have IWS.

They even sent me this pdf link

But I'm not a retailer and I'm not buying a bunch of laptops to re-sell them...so I don't know what the problem is.

There's no way I can get the serial number until after I buy the laptop. This is stupid...

Moderator edit: Fixed link.

Cleo_Lenovo
Topics: 81
Kudos: 264
Solutions: 136

[ Edited ]

Hi Hargo,

I"m deeply sorry for the confusion you're facing. It is regrettable that you did not get a response from websales@lenovo.com. I have informed the respective team to be alert to inquiry from customer.

In regard to IWS, our helpful mods are correct that only the machine type (MT) is needed to decide the IWS availability in a country. However, it doesn't mean a machine with expired warranty can get international warranty service from service providers even though the MT is covered in the respective country.

Also, the service provider is right as well with the warranty availability for a particular serial number (notebook) despite IWS page displays the MT availability in each country. In order to know if a notebook with an unique serial number is still under warranty, you may key in the Machine Type and Serial Number in this Warranty Lookup page. If the machine has 3 years warranty as showed in this page, it means it has 3 years IWS, too.

In order to know if your machine can get service from a service provider in your country, in short, these two must be met:

1. IWS for the Machine Type(MT) is covered in your country
  2. The machine is still under warranty (check it out at Warranty Lookup page, it needs MT and Serial Number)

There must be some misunderstanding at service provider's end. I have informed my counterpart in Europe to look into this matter and get it rectified. 

Thank you very much for your interest in ThinkPad, and I'm looking forward to seeing you own one soon. :smileyhappy:

Best regards,

Cleo

WW Social Media
T61, T410, x240, Z500, Flex 14

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество